The Hell of Horcum Aftermath & Pics

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
The Hell of Horcum

Saturday morning and it's dark an moody sky's with blustery winds,
it would be easy to turn over and stay in bed. But the thought of meeting friends for a ride soon have me in the car and over the moors.

At the car park Elpedro and "new car" with diesel bitch's are waiting for me, as more riders turn up were soon at full strength.

So with the meet and greets quickly dispensed with and the compulsory drooling over old bikes its time for the group photo.

Picture048.jpg

All lined up for the group piccie and a MK II Ford Cortina 1600E just happened to pass by proper retro.

First we head toward RAF Fylingdales and then skirt round the edge of the perimeter fence, watching out for the RED DOT !! we all make it past the "secret" listing post.

Picture049.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture052.jpg

In this next pic I'm not to sure whats been happening but I thought I'd better capture it for evidence in case of prosecution

Picture055.jpg

We bimble along the fire roads until we come to a fast downhill with a cattle grid at the bottom which catches the unaware out with a pinch flat,
soon repaired, onward and upward we reach the stone cross at the top.

Picture058.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture063.jpg

We take in the view and point out local landmarks, with tails of ill thought out Victorian Holiday resorts.
Talk then turns to what is to come.....

Picture062.jpg

Its time to ride some sweet singletrack to Ella beck, the next mile or so is a shoeshine ride through the heather "with a few" Rocks to keep your focus and on your toe's. We regroup at the beck to tell tails of near misses and clattered rear mech's.

Picture066.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture073.jpg

From Ella beck its across the rail tracks and the start of the long slow climb to the top of Simon Howe, this is sinuous singletrack with dips, rocks and ruts to take your mind off the fact that your riding up hill.

Picture078.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Picture077.jpg

At the top once again we chat about the different trails from where we were, it's the singletrack to the left thats the flavor of the day today.
We descend in the "not quite a head wind" until we reach the edge of Newtondale forest, the wind making it a bit slower that normal.
Regrouping at the wooden bridge at the forest we then wind are way along the fire roads.
And duck into the tree lined trails and start to lose more hard earned hight, but more descents are just around the corner.

Picture082.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Picture086.jpg

We followed some of the same trails the BDWII took last year and the grins at the bottom were just as big.
Now on the valley floor we followed the rail tracks to Levisham station and a well earned cuppa, the British Rail experience was completed with the said cuppa in a polystyrene cup.

Picture089.jpg

Beverages ordered with chooses of cake or bacon buttys we all sit down to chat and put the world to rights, to reinforce the old saying of you wait twenty minutes for a train and two turn up........... guess what happened.
Yep two lovely old steam trains turned up one looking like it had just left the paint shop.

Picture091.jpg

Thomas the tank engine?

Picture094.jpg

Box fresh citrus fruit

Picture095.jpg

Old Iron

Picture099.jpg

The Train kept a Rollin

Picture116.jpg

Like a Tornado

Picture122.jpg

Goodbye farewell ...............

Time to start the final assent, this is the "Hell of the Horcum" ride, from the station on the valley floor it starts with a steep tarmac climb then heads off on to a grassy track that drags at your tyres and becomes steeper than the steep tarmac.

Picture124.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Once at the top its time to catch are breath and take in the view, its just a few short miles to the end of the ride from here, with the wind at are backs it makes the final trails around the Hole of Horcum feel like we,vie just left the car park.

Picture127.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Well done to every one who made the effort on what looked like it would be a wet an wild day, we caught the edge of one shower and had the wind at are backs when we needed it most,
Good company, Good trails and some lovely old bikes being ridden as they were meant to be, made this another retroride to remember.

Thanks for taking part in happy memory's :cool:

Cheers Vern

Ps there's a few more pics Here feel free to copy & paste any you like.

You caught the MkI - genius!

Great ride, thanks Vern and everyone, had a cracking time (sorry Lee :oops:), really really enjoyed it. Need to do some serious eating/rehydrating then I'll see if any of my pics are any cop.

:cool::cool::cool:

cheers v for a great day it was great to catch up with old friends ;)
and new ,fc the cracking time was my second alpinestars stem to fail we was only discussing where they crack when I noticed it again :evil:
really enjoyed the singletrack and the moors ,brilliant veiws.
cheers pete and mark for the car sharing it makes these trips viable,
got a couple of pics I will post later.
and many thanks to that man for that shirt ;)
Lee.

Looking forward to the pics :)

Hell of Horcum? Was it a tough ride?

Bad luck with the stem Lee, maybe time to give up with the AS ones :?

Thanks for coming out for a great ride everybody and thanks for Vern for putting it together.
I got back down the track to Levisham fine but somehow missed the bit where we switched back over that big hill, so came out in the village and did the last bit on road.
chrisv40":3f9d560i said:
Hell of Horcum? Was it a tough ride?

It didn't feel like 18 miles but the verticalness was "Enhanced"...

Right you lot;
I have photo's, starting even before I got to the start point.

On my way to Pickering I saw this very early in the morning. Note the pink alloys and the way it looks like a Suzuki Vitara even though I think it is a RAV4. Yes it is the ultimate Hairdresser's car! How I laughed.
Hairdresserscar.jpg

Kaya's directions on the original announcement had the promise of steam trains to Levisham station . After forking out a tenner for my return ticket + bike I found that all I got was the sort of knackered diesel engine that I recall from journeys to Garforth to see my Granny when I was about 8.
Not-Steamtrain.jpg

On top of hill by a cairn. Note how it doesn't look at all cold or windy!
Rest.jpg

Nice Land-Rover G4 orange, Orange P7, if you get what I mean
LandroverG4orangeOrangeP7.jpg

Kaya's Saracen with Deerhead gears.
SaracenwithDeerheadgears.jpg

ElPedro's Ibis- foreground and Filingdales early warning station on the horizon
ElPedrosIbisandFilingdales.jpg

Mr Lee and Kaya go trainspotting
Trainspotters.jpg

Surely a high-point of civilization, yes? Britain must have smelt gorgeous fifty years ago.
PICT0017.jpg

My train home. When I got back to Levisham a train was waiting, they must have known I was on my way, so I went home on that and it was Steam. Ah!
Screenshot-1.jpg

Nice train (and occasional bike) pics Rich! MrLee appears to be trainspotting, but I'm not sure what Vern's up to... :shock: :LOL:

Few equally random ones from me:

More trainage - beautiful wooden carriages (teak, mahagony...?)
SNC00203.jpg

The rest are basically views from the (nearly)end point of the ride:
Lee & Gil
SNC00208.jpg

SNC00209.jpg

SNC00210.jpg

SNC00212.jpg

SNC00213.jpg

SNC00214.jpg

What a stunning place to be riding, thanks again :cool:

A few pics
watch out elped theres a big .....