the various incarnations of my Eddy MXL

timto

Retro Newbie
It originally wore neutrons and an ibis stem
Then it had a crack, inspection and repaint
Now it sits like this - found a 10 rise nitto stem and a concor saddle.

Heavy, solid. Great handling.

Attachments

• mxl20081123_02 (Small).JPG
    mxl20081123_02 (Small).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 917
  • white_028.JPG
    white_028.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 917
  • IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 917
shame the original paint had to go, it looked like a pearl finish and they always look good

these are classic bikes though :cool:

Thats a pretty good first post! The MXL has acquired an almost mythical status (particularly in the US and Canada).

Lovely looking bike.
I had a Mercxk Corsa Extra which handled well and felt very 'solid' - confidence giving. The MXL is renowned as being a step or two beyond, particularly for 'larger' riders.

I was once told by a respected cycling chap that if you wanted a bike that would do everything and last, look to those bikes designed t be ridden in the One day classics - if they can cope with pro's riding on and off kerbs at 30+mph and over miles of cobbles and steep climbs, they will serve us ordinary mortals well, in our everyday riding. If Merckx didn't make such bikes, I don't know who did.

Fabulous, all time great.
How long have you had it (her/ him?), is it your main ride?

Welcome,

David

Cossington":2p5t8kgv said:
Thats a pretty good first post! The MXL has acquired an almost mythical status (particularly in the US).

Lovely looking bike.
I had a Mercxk Corsa Extra which handled well and felt very 'solid' - confidence giving. The MXL is renowned as being a step or two beyond, particularly for 'larger' riders.

I was once told by a respected cycling chap that if you wanted a bike that would do everything and last, look to those bikes designed t be ridden in the One day classics - if they can cope with pro's riding on and off kerbs at 30+mph and over miles of cobbles and steep climbs, they will serve us ordinary mortals well, in our everyday riding. I f Merckx didn't make sich bikes, I don't know who did.

Fabulous, all time great.
How long have you had it (her/ him?), is it your main ride?

Welcome,

David

Yeah this bike seems to wear old components or new components well - it's quite timeless. Due to the repair issue I've had it two years now but really only put less than 1000km on it probably.

I do think the bike is slightly over-hyped. I think the handling is really dialed but I wouldn't say it was a fun bike to ride at my weight of 155lbs in season. I don't ride particularly rough roads here in Vancouver Canada so don't benefit from the tank like properties as much. I do think larger riders would probably see more benefits from the tubing.

While I do love this bike I'd tell people to watch out and do good inspections of these frames. Iv'e seen various images now of people with the same repair issue I had - which was hairline cracking in the lug edge (where it meets the tube) of the bb/dt socket. I peered inside the bb shell with cranks removed and there was what I'd say to be a VERY poor brazing job. You could see no evidence of brass coming into the bb socket, the tubes come into the shell and look bone dry! There was definitely not enough preheat while brazing and poor penetration of the brass. I say this as someone who's built 6 frames - an amateur but one that knows what to look for!

Also - the rear bridge on my bike was mounted really low. Meaning that my record calipers have the pads in the upper most position. This makes even the teeniest of fenders (CRUD2) barely fit! I've also heard more than one MXL owner complaining about low brake bridge mounts. This will pose issues for you dudes who like to run 28's and larger for tires.

If you get one that fits, and is sturdy it's still a great bike. I'm keeping mine!

Nice bike

Nice Merckx
I have a corsa extra from new that has the same paint job. The pearlescent paint is nice.
Love it!
Jamie
IMG_1352.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back