1998 stumpjumper M2 Pro

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I wanted a cheap hack for possible commute to new work premises. I have a rockhopper frame (1997, last of the steel ones) in need of a respray but then I saw this for less than the cost of a respray and well I had to get it. I've always loved stumpys, always out of my price range though.

Picked the frame up and its in great condition with just a few of the decals in less than stellar condition. Lovely orange colour which photographs to look more red than it is.

Anyway, I had started to pick up very cheap bits for my hack ride which will have to go on straight away as I am on a very tight budget (wedding next year!) but hoping to get it built up, single speed, in the next month or two and then slowly put better bits on it when I see good bits going cheap or can afford some nicer stuff. Have son of strongarm cranks, specialized bottlecage with the Big S stamped on it, some rigid forks, stx wheelset, lx v brakes...should be ok to start with.

Here's the bike from BITD
http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

and here's the frame today...
stumpy.jpg

stump2.jpg

stump1.jpg

stump3.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos, bit too excited so wanted to put it on quickly! :oops:

First query, if or when I want to get rid of the rigid forks for some spring, would more modern 100mm forks affect the geometry too badly? Originally came with 80mm so I'm not sure if it will cope with it. I guess it will but I'd appreciate any opinions.

Press the flower button on your camera - better for close ups.

Looks a good start though chap :D

they are brilliant frames.

am building a single speeder on my y2k m2 frame. by my maths it should weigh in at 15.77 lb :roll:

my frame needed a new coat of paint but that looks very tidy.

have fun

stubbsy :D

Thanks stubbsy. I am also thinking of going ss as u bought a kit a while back and think it could make a real whippet. Could also go 1 x 9 later if my puny legs can't cope with it!

built it up with bits that I have around the shed this afternoon...marin rockstar forks, and bits and pieces already mentioned.

The saddle was off my fire mountain deluxe from two years ago but looks like an absolute whale perch!! May have to get rid of that sooner rather than later. Have fitted lx v levers but have some avids that I will more than likely put on as I prefer the lever feel and shape.

Anyway, cheap bits but functional..just want to get it built then I can worry about upgrading bits later on. Trip to the lbs to finish off next weekend funds permitting.

Hope you enjoy:
speccage.jpg

stem.jpg

stumpyfull.jpg

stumpyfront.jpg

stumps.jpg

thought i'd chuck this in there to show how full my shed is, not designed for three bikes, garden furniture and other various bits which my mrs doesn't want it the house! :LOL:
shedittoofull.jpg

Have sourced some Manitou SX which were stock on this so I can reunite frame and forks. Not sure whether to keep it rigid or not but guess I will keep both and have the option to swap over. Dumb question but if I get a crown race on both sets of forks is it really simple to switch them over?

Looks good mate, glad you like it and are going to use it more than I did. I used it with 100mm forks and it was fine. Enjoy.

Cheers Paul. I'm well pleased with it. Not sure whether to go for rigid or shocks. Should have it built up as SS first then get other kit as funds permit. Hope ur getting out on your newer bike :D

Back