Fork Question

frances1966

Dirt Disciple
Hi
I just wondered if anyone knows what the average 'crown to axle' front fork measurement would be for a vintage road bike (50s Mercian). The frame I bought doesn't have forks and I just bought the most perfect looking vintage pair on ebay, the seller said they was originally for 26" wheels but 27" would fit. I'm planning on using 700c wheels.

I'm hoping the forks will arrive today, but now I'm concerned that they will be too small and throw the geometry of the bike off even if wheels and brakes fit.

I need to work out if its worth paying lots of money for respray and a bike shop to build up my bike with these forks.

If you are interested the forks are here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've got a 1956 Mercian with its original fork. Unfortunately I'm in France at the moment and the bike's in storage in England so I can't give you a direct measurement, but it's quite a tall fork with clearance for a fat tyre and a lot of brake drop. 390mm axle-to-crown wouldn't be far wrong.

You can always mock the bike up with a pair of wheels and check the top tube with a spirit level. Alternatively, I'm sure a framebuilder wouldn't charge much to measure your frame and advise on a suitable fork.

Here are some lousy cameraphone pictures of mine:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=288747

The wheels are 700c (27" tubulars) and the brake reach is around 65mm, perhaps a little more.

Yes I can see a lot of clearance on those wheels... ummm not looking good for my 26" forks.
Interestingly the lugs on yours are similar to mine nervex - except mine seem to have been shaved right down by the frame builder. I have absolutely no idea what model mine is but the date from the frame number is 1954. I can take photos if you are interested.

The crown on your forks is pretty close to the crown on the forks I just bought... I've waited so long for something suitable to turn up on ebay, its going to be annoying if they turn out to be too small.

Mercian tell me they don't do the pre 1960 transfers anymore.

Thanks for your wheel suggestion I'm not much of a mechanic and I'd have to take the wheels off the bike I'm using at the moment. I may try the front one just to see what the clearance is though.

frances1966":sz0oonku said:
I have absolutely no idea what model mine is but the date from the frame number is 1954. I can take photos if you are interested.
We always like to see pictures!

Back