Singlespeed Epiphany

xizang":2gfn817e said:
No brakes are for fixies, which to me are dangerous. Coaster brakes seem the best option. Imagine if you cramp up and can't coast. Not only cramp but various other bumps'n'cuts when you fall off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get the SS thing but not fixies :?

There was a big fixie (I hate that word so so much) uprise here. Big groups of douche bags riding around with no brakes or helmets really quickly in high traffic areas. And they wondered why they had so many accidents and got such a bad rep!
I'm extremly embarrassed to say that my brother was a part of that group for a while :oops:
He would come home from a ride telling us that at least 1 if not more had a big pile up or a hit a car they couldn't stop in time for... idiots.

As much as I love SS I do need a geared bike in the garage. Can be a wee bit hilly up here!

MTB singlespeed

I have my roadies geared but as for my MTB's well its pretty much all SS lately. My Stumpies dont tend to get out, even my 88 is still sitting at my inlaws since the Macretro January ride and they are a couple of hundred miles away :shock:
My retro singlespeed was dismantled for the 1x1 and its about the only thing ridden off road, my other Stumpies haven't come out the shed in quite a while :oops:
I take that back, I'm not embaressed as SS rules and it brings the biggest smiles :D :D :D :D

Jamie

for me, it was a case of simplicity and reliability, plus if you get your gearing correct, you really dont need as many gears as you think.

i come from the bmx world, where gears arent an option. you simply learn to get the best out of your system as it is. if you want to go faster you either learn to spin quicker, or go up a tooth size on the chainring, or down one at the freewheel if you can.
it took me a while to get the gearing right on my bike, its a 24" wheeled mountain bike and i run 17/39 with 175mm cranks. short enough to have good accelleration and be able to crank it up hills stood up, but long enough to get a good turn of speed when i spin it up.

for me the issues is, no matter how good manufacturers try to make them, rear mechs are still pretty fragile items mounted in quite a stupid/vunerable position. theyre a real hangover from when mountain bikes were little more than converted/beefed up road bikes, and one thing they really should have improved upon by now. one good knock or a stick through the chain/cage setup is all it takes to mangle the whole lot to the point its unridable, and leave you with a long walk home.
add to that the use of bowden cables to control the shifting, which really do not mix well with mud and water, and its a wonder they work as well as they do.

i ride freeride, jumps, street, bmx tracks, and northshore kind of stuff, and i find having a rear mech and chain flapping around all over the place whist doing it quite annoying- particularly as your feet are stationary most of the time if youre hitting obstacles so theres no need to pedal anyway, so it doesnt really matter if youve outrun your gearing or not. then theres the added expense of a decent chaindevice to keep your chain on at the front too. the 'epiphany' for me was when i wore the same sprocket out first on my last two cassettes, as i was riding soley in that gear at least 90% of the time. to me it was obvious the added weight and complexity of gearing was pointless if i wasnt using it!!

singlespeed is just so much stronger, cheaper, quieter, and less damaging to other components (chain slap). im not sure how id get on with it for XC use, always being in the saddle, but for what i do, its ideal.

as a footnote, i see the whole singlespeed/ridgid thing going on at the minute (well, its been building for years really) as a bit of a backlash against the big manufactures constantly trying to shove their 'new' technology down our throats, basically then telling us the stuff weve already bought off them last year is now old hat.
the truth is, having one more gear, 10mm more travel, or slightly sharper disc brakes doesnt make you a better rider- its experience and skills that are built on the trail that do,and no amount of money thrown at equipment will change that. mtbs have come so far in their evolution that you can easily go out and have just as good a time on a £500 bike as you can on a £5000 bike without it breaking like they used to, so theyve got to try to sell you their wares some other way.

My mistake, fixies I really don't get. SS, don't think it's for me but at least now there is a bit of discussion going. That's more like it. Never been one to agree (no matter what you're point is :oops: )
But I get it a little bit to be honoust. Where I'm living now I find it too hilly not to have gears. Would love to try an Alfine hub though. I do get the part with simplicity and not wanting to use too much cash on "new" product. That's why, until this year, I have never had a bike with any kind of suspension. Also think 21 gears is more than enough. 99,9% of the time I could do without the granny ring as well.

I do always wonder where the line goes. Simplicity is one thing, but certain things you don't want to do without. For me gears being one of them (and certainly brakes). Who would still ride XC with toe-clips or flat pedals?

Would love to see some photo's of SS-ers (no not Heinrich Himmler). Perhaps an idea for next month's BOTM?

rienster":280w7j3b said:
Who would still ride XC with toe-clips or flat pedals?

I would. Have to disagree with you I guess :LOL:

But if I agreed with you on not to agree with anyone, would that mean that you'd be agreeing with me :?

i have recently had my first ss bike
a kona cowan ds

singlespeed isnt all that
but im happy with it

dont think i will go back to gears on that one
on my dh bike it has 9 speed
and the cassette is 12-23 so close ratio as well
36t ring
works pretty well
is silent

dont think i would go ss on that as i ride it to the trails

I'd probably keep a geared bike kicking about if I was you. They can be handy. I borrowed one (with suspension too)! for a trip to wales last weekend.

The gears made it a little bit easier, but I could easily have done without. Suspension made more of a difference TBH (I'm a little embarrassed to admit :oops: )

I have gears on my road bike & 1x7 on my winter commuter. Non on any MTBs now.

Up until 18 months ago i had only riden geared bikes ... then a cindercone free of charge came my way and i thought i would give the ss thing a go, and since then its the only one that i have riden :) its given me something that was missing with gears .... simple and quiet ..yes it can be hard but im fitter for it and so far i cant see myself going back to gears any time soon :)

Trouble is, in my quest for simplicity, it's a short step from;
one bike with gears, three without >
four bikes without gears >
one bike, no gears
I shall also renounce the pleasures of the flesh and whip myself daily with the very birch twigs that clog up my block when I do ride with gears...

I think I'd have to keep one rigid and one hardtail though, for when I'm feeling fragile. :oops:

Back