Retro Helmets! (I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;) )

Leader Gara Pro (sold to racer x)
gt_leader_1.jpg

Also have another Gara Pro in Klein's Storm paint (1 of 5 made)
klein_storm_outfit.jpg

and a Specialized helmet (can't remember the model now)
spesh_team_outfit.jpg

My mates old daytona

Looks great Owen, It was hardley used as he had louds of lids. loved it myself but to big for me, flames look FANTASTIC :cool: :p .

scottrider":ry6av4lu said:
i think retro lids may not be the best idea ever, read this quote from MET;

"We are often asked 'For how long is a helmet safe?', or 'how often should I replace my helmet?”' Until now it has been difficult to find any reliable figures to help answer these queries. MET have now developed a series of tests which are conducted on aged helmets to determine a 'best before' date (unless the helmet is involved in an accident. In that case it should be replaced immediately.). The results indicate that, if used properly accordingly to our owner manual, our helmets will still do their job up to eight years after they have been made. Not only is that good news for the customer, it’s great news for the environment!"

it would be horrible if some one got hurt for no reason, just my view though...do what ever you want..:)

I've always brought a replacement helmet every four years, as that was what motorbike helmet makers recommended and they are more or less made out of the same stuff. I've never found it easy to get rid of old helmets though, maybe one day I'll turn one into a cool hanging basket.

This is my beloved Brancale helmet which I brought from Alan Dent's in Lancaster- now a branch of Lakes Leisure Bikes- in about 1999. It was the first helmet I'd had that didn't make me look like a mushroom and it looked like it was doing 60mph stood still. When I started work I used to cycle to the office and frisbee it every morning onto the hat stand. Needless to say it missed everytime and landed on the floor. One morning it landed on the floor with an ominous crack and that was that a huge chunk fell out of it. I was furious with myself but couldn't bring myself to throw it out. I keep it on a shelf

Attachments

• PICT2626.JPG
    PICT2626.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 4,365
Great little thread this one :LOL:

Here's a couple of my retro helmets - Giro Hammerhead SC Jungle Jim and a Specialized AirForce ;)

Still wear the Giro, looks the part with my retro Bolle Edge II glasses and wear the AF one only during the winter with a beanie underneath as it a tad too big for me despite being sized as an XS! The Giro is sized as a Small come to think of it as well - I have a medium sized bonce at least!

Mainly wear a modern Bell Slant helmet on most rides, but still on the lookout for a retro Giro Air Attack like Mike Kloser's :)

S6308679.jpg

S6308680.jpg

S6308681.jpg

S6308682.jpg

S6308683.jpg

S6308684.jpg

S6308685.jpg

;)

I don't have any pictures sadly, had the old Etto which was adjustable and came with a key, Jez Avery popularised in the early 90's
suprised if no on has any pictures of them, they were everywhere, not to mention the stupid ears you could get for them !

Here's my original and well used Vetta Corsa Micro complete with Mint stickers :cool: Well past being safe but is enjoying retirement in my spare room.

Attachments

• bits 063.jpg
    bits 063.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,800
  • bits 062.jpg
    bits 062.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 3,800
  • bits 061.jpg
    bits 061.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,800
  • bits 060.jpg
    bits 060.jpg