My Viking Grand Tour

Marvel

Old School Hero
I was given this when I used to work installing stair lifts for the disabled. One job in Sandwell I had to go thorough the garage to get into the house and hung up was this old bike. He was obviously never going to ride it again so asked him what he was going to do with and he said I could have it. It came without wheels, bars, brakes and levers but still had the original Lycette saddle and Campag changer. I got some period wheels from the tip and was given an oldish Suntour rear mech and chainset. Purple anodised bars are off my Alpinestars. Everything works and it rides really nice. Did the IOW Randonee and the Jurassic Beast on it the last couple of weekends.
DSC06746.jpg

what a great find. very classic looking. the bars look out of place to me, but the most important thing is that the old girl has a new lease of life :)

I had one of those BITD! It was my first proper lightweight and I rode my first time trial on it 50 years ago. Mine was a dark flamboyant red and it was bought as a frame from Bill Hughes shop in Wrexham to replace an old Raleigh frame that cracked. I gradually improved the spec. from Benelux and GB to Campagnolo and Mafac and then sold it as a frame to buy a second-hand Severn Valley that I rode for a few years.

Thanks for reminding me! ;)

PS - where's the back brake?

Glad my bike brought back some memories. Mine is probably early 60's based on the decal saying 'Tour of Britain 1st 1951, 1955, 1958 and 1959'. I think mine would have had GB brakes, Campag mech and Williams chainset. I'm still aquiring the missing parts but at least it does now have a period GB rear brake. Annoying as I had most of the parts when I was a boy but my Mum threw them out when I left home. They'd be worth £100's now. I wish I still had the Gillott I had then too.

Marvel":yo94p9ft said:
Now finished with all the right bits and looking like this
IMG_0050.jpg

That looks better - but I'm sure your dangly bits would appreciate the nose of the saddle levelling off! I do appreciate though that sometimes it is not very easy getting an exact level with an ordinary fixing clip.

It looks a bit vicious does that saddle. I had a cheap 'swallow' style one BITD and it was a killer. However, I did end up with 2 kids eventually ;)

What's the rear mech? Possibly a bit later than the frame?

Hi Ned,
That leather razor blade is a Lycette Swallow and is the comfiest saddle I've got. I've done a couple of 70 mile rides on it with no ill effects. I've got a 30mile ride home from work on it this afternoon too. I agree it looks a bit up at the front but I find I slide off it if I have it level.
The Campagnolo rear mech is not quite period but the closest I've got. I'm on the look out for a chrome Gran Sport but keep missing them on ebay or they go for silly money. The pedals aren't quite right either but are the only rat traps with clips I had. I prefer SPD's now but they look a bit modern.

I think it was the Lycett one I had. Couldn't afford a 'proper' Brooks one :(

It never, ever softened up. Stayed rock-hard for years. I suppose that after having had my bottom 'case-hardened' with it, going on to a Unica nylon track saddle was a doddle.

i like the colour and patina of the bike glad to see you have
kept the original finish. i did have an old wolverhampton catalouge
but cant seem to find it at moment
nice job

Back