headsets recommendations

milko

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
OK my newest purchase is becoming a bit of a money pit (don't they all) the headset now appears to be indexed (it seemed fine then I got it but now I have little black worms of grease coming from the bottom race) and I have not got much to spend so any recommendations for 1" threaded headsets (also if you have one rolling around the man cave that is surplus to requirements give me a shout) also anyone know of where to get a cheep set of headset spanners?

what have you got already, if is a Shimano one like a 105, they tended to have a low stack height so you might not have enough threads for something like a Stronglight as recommended above.
I quite like Tange headsets myself, the Tange Levin is a kind of Campag copy

The one on it at the mo is a stronglite and the forks would not be too much of an issue as I have a new set en route because the fork end is damaged and the steerer on the first replacement set I got was about 5mm too short! (As I said money pit :()

gordy":3jlm978d said:
I picked up a stronglight headset (very light+good quality) seen them on ebay for £25 new

+1 for the Stronglight A9, well engineered and weighs next to nothing. The Miche Primato is good too and has the same roller bearing system but comes out a mite taller on stack height.

David

Went with the tange in the end less than £20 inc delivery would have gone for the stronglite if it were not for the fact that they were charging£15 more for silver over black :roll:

Back