Wreckless Abandon...

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi,

I found this left outside my house yesterday morning. I thought 'I will leave it there until later and see if it is claimed'. 17 hours later, there it sat, looking all sorry for itself. It turns out a neighbour had left it out with a sign saying 'Help yourself' and then the students next door rode it back while, er, lets say tipsy.

Now, I am not expecting miracles here, but I wondered if anyone recognised this as being anything of even remote quality before I take it to the tip. Its heavy enough to be a steel frame, but what interested me is the claim of being an All terrain Bike, when it shouts road bike at me...

5760753343_0084d2aafb.jpg

5760753247_77663b94fe.jpg

The down tube says backtrack on it. There is a sticker on the upside of the headtube that is in Austrian too.

Sorry for the naff pictures, I'm still holing out for an iPhone 5!

re the ATB stickers, I'd say they were just afternarket stickers as it neither looks like a track bike either if that's what the sticker says on the downtube.

kula":s5gbfroe said:
re the ATB stickers, I'd say they were just afternarket stickers as it neither looks like a track bike either if that's what the sticker says on the downtube.

well, the stickers are the same colour/font as the downtube decals and all look to be originals. The sticker in Austrian is actually on the upside of the downtube, just by the headtube, but I cannot decipher it.

It didn't look like it would be anything special, but thought I would share it in case anyone popped up with interest. I would have shipped it for Karma + postage if they had!

Whatleymeister":rp3z037u said:
kula":rp3z037u said:

well, the stickers are the same colour/font as the downtube decals and all look to be originals. The sticker in Austrian is actually on the upside of the downtube, just by the headtube, but I cannot decipher it.

Austrian? Probably a Puch in that case, but I couldn't swear to it.

David

One is assuming that ATB in this case means all terrain bike. It might just be a random collection of letters the manufacturer thought looked cool. Also if the bikes 1970's then there were no ATB's further supporting the idea ATB in this case is not as it seems. Austrian/German bit does suggest Puch.

Judging by the fact that the rear drop-out seems to have been made by simply pressing the ends of the tube flat, I wouldn't attribute any intrinsic value to this - the 1980's equivalent of a BSO (Bike-Shaped Object)

monty dog":1u3s6sbx said:
Judging by the fact that the rear drop-out seems to have been made by simply pressing the ends of the tube flat, I wouldn't attribute any intrinsic value to this - the 1980's equivalent of a BSO (Bike-Shaped Object)

This was also my line of thinking as it goes. Some hav suggested Puch owing to the Austrian written sticker on the frame, but I'm not convinced myself, it lacks a certain penache to be of genuine quality.

Still, she has been picked out for a new life as a modest fixie with a loving new home - delivery this weekend. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out :cool:

Why do you assume Puch has 'genuine quality'. The Raleigh of Austria produced just as much crap as our Nottingham based manufacturer :LOL:

Back