Colnago C40 - Rabobank? - Need Some Advice

beancounter

Dirt Disciple
Hello everyone,

I recently bought this C40 from a very nice chap called Ron.

It's a lovely frame in excellent condition. It was described as Rabobank colours, which I'm not too sure about - my LBS described it as "one of the Rabobank colour schemes but not the Team Issue", which I kind of understand....

I usually have a good idea of what components I'm going to put on a build but this one has me in a quandary. If I go down the "Rabobank" route, I think they rode Shimano which feels kind of weird for a Colnago, but some Dura Ace 7700/7800 might be nice. Or of course, some carbon Record...

No idea about wheels or finishing kit.

I know it's not very retro but can anyone help me with some ideas or advice?

Many thanks indeed.

bc

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5647/c40y.jpg
[/url]

Rabobank have almost always been on Shimano components for as long as I've been watching pro racing.

Possibly not 100% authentic for the team but if you can get it NOS, ITM Millennium is good finishing kit; light, reliable (seatpost bolts are a wee bit fiddly though), not too costly and has a nice eggshell black finish. In recent years Rabobank's finishing kit (wheels included?) has I think come from the Pro stable which may well be a Shimano spin-off [1] company.

David

[1] Not in the same sense that Denis Menchov tended to spin off whilst riding for Rabobank. ;)

Good looking frame. My 'best' bike is a C40, and I love its ride and handling.
I think that colour scheme is LX 23 (LX refers to the 'pearl-like' symbols, and '23' refers to the orange).

Campag vs Shimao - the old debate. I like Campag, but as you mentioned and David B confirmed, Rabobank used Shimano. Whenever Colnago have done Anniversary or special edition bikes, they tend to do 50% with Shimano, the other half with Campag. So - use whatever you prefer, or perhaps whatever you have most readily available.

Colnago do 'own-branded' seatposts and stems and used to use ITM milllenium stems with Colnago on them, at the time your bike was made (early 2000's). (WR Compositi used to do the seatposts, not sure who makes the current stuff) I have one or two of the stems and seatposts.
ITM Millenium is a good suggestion - generally slim lines match the frame tube proportions and generally available (NOS still around) at very good prices.

In the early 2000's, Colnago did their own set of wheels, which were Ambrosio rims on some carbon-shelled hubs. So Ambrosio rimmed wheels would be appropriate (if going hand built0.

So many choices. Keep us informed...

David

This is pretty much original Rabo teambike
UdOxfHokK9JiLjMO4Y6fyw.jpg

Many thanks for the comments and pointers.

So. As it's not really a Rabobank frame there's no point me attempting to stay true to some sort of Rabobank replica - that's Shimano out then, it'll be Campag as usual.

I do agree about the ITM finishing kit, I just put a set on my CT1 and very nice it is too.

Just not sure about wheels.

Thanks again

bc

Classic geometry and construction, modern material, 10 year production run - you've got a lot of choice with a C40, it would look good with deep carbon or low profile aluminium rims. Personally I'd go for some handbuilts with something like Ambrosio or Mavic rims for a bit more of a classic look.

I guess with the B-Stay its up to about 2004. You could go for 10 speed Record with the silver brakes and cranks or carbon cranks and black brakes. Non skeleton brakes and square taper cranks of course.

Let us know how it goes, it looks fantastic.

cromoman":1eckhhpe said:
I guess with the B-Stay its up to about 2004. You could go for 10 speed Record with the silver brakes and cranks or carbon cranks and black brakes. Non skeleton brakes and square taper cranks of course.

Let us know how it goes, it looks fantastic.

Cheers! It was bought new in 2005 so must have been one of the last ones made in 2004.

I've just put alloy Record on the CT1 so thought I'd go carbon with this one - but why square taper? Why not UT?

bc

Nothing more than a personal preference! Those early carbon Campag cranks had a sort of marble appearence to them which I really like.

UT would be much easier to get hold of.

I have the same frame. However it has paint damage. I need detailed photos of the same paint scheme to fix it. Can I get detailed photos of your bike frames top tube?

Back