20 inch kids bike

I would also have a look at the Aluminium Raleigh Hotrod 20. My son had one and the bike was in fact lighter than the Aluminium Specialized Hotrock 20 that I subsequently bought for my daughter. They seem to come in both Steel and Aluminium framed versions with the same graphics so choose with care but can be as cheap as chips. An excellent base for a project especially if you are going to strip and repaint or polish.

How recently Bullpup? the last couple of years the build quality on Raleigh's kids bikes has been appalling, might be more their steel bikes but the welding looked like it was done by me on one I saw last xmas.

It was very cheap so no surprise, on ebay they usually go for between 60 and 80 for the same model as that girls one, mK's 46er is made from the larger version of that frame. when it has straight forks on it looks like a jump bike - which is all the rage with the young lads around here.

The Ken":lja0cpft said:
How recently Bullpup? the last couple of years the build quality on Raleigh's kids bikes has been appalling, might be more their steel bikes but the welding looked like it was done by me on one I saw last xmas.

At a guess I would say it was around 5/6 years old - we had it 3 years and it was secondhand when I bought it. The frame had stickers on it proclaiming Aerolight or Alulite or something similar and it certainly failed the magnet test. It was very well made with neat welding on a par with the Specialized. I would have passed it to my daughter but I had promised her a new bike as incentive to lose the stabilizers...

yes the airlite bikes were really nicely made, as were the max's of the time, the recent ones are pretty poor, so much so my LBS (a raleigh dealer) has stopped stocking them, shame really, looks like they picked the same factory as toys r us when they shipped production east.

There are in fact a few Airlite ones on fleabay even though the sellers often claim they are steel: They are red, without front suspension and have silver stickers (saying Airlite) on both seat stays by the brakes. They also have black seat collars rather than clamps.

Are the bottom brackets a standard size or are they Raleigh specific?

Back