WTD:Nano-budget bike build bits; not even as posh as Mad Max

Djr-xc-quadracer88":xy4zsdpw said:
what else do you need?? lets have a list?

Well, I think I'm near as dammit there. I've kept the 1st post updated so that should be the most up-to-date summary of the State Of The Nation, and the only real main thing I'm lacking now is an 8 speed rear (right hand) shifter (that and the front mech, but I haven't had one of those on my other bike for ages!)

Really am itching to get the build finished now! And I think the Haldon Hill RetroBike outing will be the perfect christening :)

Seat clamp was perfect, Cyfa - cheers!

The rear brake - yeah, my plan (don't know what you think..?) is to shorten the hose and have the Tektro as a front brake - then I have a hydraulic front brake on both bikes, and - better - in the short term, I can just swap the front wheel. Neither of my frames has rear disc IS mounts, and though adaptors might be a work-around, I'm not fazed by a V brake at the back. It may be my motorcycling background, but I put a lot more emphasis in the brake up front.

So - if it comes to it, for Haldon, I'll swap the cable from the Giant to the Marin, and run the Giant without a rear brake for the time being.

What do you think?

yeah certainly
if it makes life easier, go for that

i too seem to wear through front pads and sometimes have around half left on the back when replacing the fronts! :LOL:
strange

thats because you should use your front more than your rear brake.

there is a saying "kids skid" ;)

don't get me wrong sometimes the only way to get around a tight corner would be to skid the back end out, but as a rule of thumb there is rarely a need to skid.

yeah i agree with you there
skid or crash sometimes

but he does it to stop at the end of every run
i manage to stop within a shorter distance with controlled braking :roll:

In motorbiking - and it does depend a lot on the kind of bike - as a rule of thumb, you're supposed to be getting the front to do 75% and the back to do 25%. As your weight gets thrown forwards, this compression of the front causes the brake to work harder and more effectively - hence the increased wear.

Back