How old = classic/vintage?

Squiggle

Retro Newbie
Hi

I was just wondering, how old does a bike have to be to be classed as classic/vintage?

I'd really like some help to identify this bike.

Please excuse my ignorance...new to this. :oops:

I've just treated my Falcon Black Diamond as a trusty friend, nothing special.

London to Brighton bike ride 3 times.

That was 'when I was young' :LOL:

Life left in the ol' dog yet!

Thanks

Chrissie

Attachments

• falcon.jpg
    falcon.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 727
  • falcondecal.jpg
    falcondecal.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 726
Hey,

There's a potted history of Falcon bikes here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/falcon.html

I think they went down the toilet a bit after 1991, but yours looks older
than that.

As far as the cutoff for classic and vintage, people will be discussing that
for ever. Some people say anything with "obsolete" parts (toe straps, down tube shifters etc etc). L'Eroica (ride in Italy for vintage bikes) has a rule
saying nothing after 1987, but I don't believe they're too strict. Officially,
a vintage car is one built between 1919 and 1930... and so on
:roll:

Johnny

Some suggest the"Classic"period ended in 1983 with the death of Tullio Campagnolo.

Perhaps the L'Eroica criteria is more useful - 1986/87, that was the year of the Look pedal - so anything after is not"Classic".

Hinault might have worn Looks in the 1985 Tour (Hinault was a Director of Look (ski gear) and saw the potential for a pedal binding: although Cinelli offered a pedal in the early 1970s which was not a commercial success).

Which is great: I don't have a bike newer than 1986 (unless you count MTBs), and have two cars from 1986 - not a bad year then?!

In some senses 1986 was the beginning of the modern period in pro cycling too...

Roadking.

There were at least 3 differing clipless pedals from Cinelli, the first in 1970 and a few other offerings throught that decade besides. So the L'Eroica rules just go by whatever they deem to be 'vintage' not actually a given time line.
The Look PP65 often classed as the first successful clipless pedal came into being in 1984 so in theory these pre 86/87 pedals should be fine but probably are frowned upon at best.
Personally I don't think it matters what you define as classic or vintage so long as you enjoy the bike for what it is.

i reckon its 8spd (on the back )or less , maybe 9 speed at a stretch ,but you can have many retro frames even of carbon fibre from that period now .

Back