Demon Frameworks mtb, pro pics on page 14! update 25/12/21

Despite the name (and logo), English Cycles is in the US, so if you're after British probably not a good bet.

Build you own, it'll be epically satisfying even if it's more expensive, and if the point is something individual (which it must be if you don't want anything peculiar in geometry terms), well, it won't get more individual than that... Dave Yates isn't going to let you leave without a decent frame.

Will @ Hammoon is a splendidly enthusiastic chap, though, and I like the fact that he TIGs -- the fillet-brazed thing is a bit of a custom cliche ;)

thanks for the re-ignition of my custom thoughts Mike, very bloody helpful!! ;)

the fillet brazed thing, i know what you mean but it looks so nice once the paint is on, very fluid, my view is if there is no downside to it then why not? besides this will be a frame i intend to keep for a long time so i intend to do it right.

i'm gonna start sending out a few emails and see what happens, alot can be said by the type of response you get and FTW set the bar high with his responses.

Good plan - with this sort of thing you need to find someone you get on with, I think :)

seeing the name mentioned - rourke may be worth talking too as well.

my auntie is an ex scottish ladies road race champ (from way back in her yoof) and has had rourke frames for as long as i can remember. very nice, light bikes and i'm sure if they can get the info for lengths & angles you after a mtb shouldn't be too much of a stretch (i know they did make some mtb's but not sure if they were ever officially in production)

I can definitely recommend Justin Burls in Essex if you want a custom Ti frame, and it'll probably be cheaper than a lot of the custom steel frames already mentioned - currently £980 according to his site.

I got mine almost three years ago, and all I wanted was a Ti version of my KHS but with disc brakes and the headtube adjusted for short travel suspension forks. I sent him the dimensions, he sent back a drawing of the frame and with a bit of back and forth we decided on some minor modifications. He was happy for me to visit him (works from home in Harwich) to have a look at some frames and discuss the details, then it was just a case of waiting.

The frames are actually made in Russia, and I can't fault the quality of the welding on mine. He used to mainly do road bikes but is doing more MTBs and plenty of 29ers. He also makes steel frames himself, but they aren't much cheaper than the titanium.

jax13":17tfmqtq said:
seeing the name mentioned - rourke may be worth talking too as well.

my auntie is an ex scottish ladies road race champ (from way back in her yoof) and has had rourke frames for as long as i can remember. very nice, light bikes and i'm sure if they can get the info for lengths & angles you after a mtb shouldn't be too much of a stretch (i know they did make some mtb's but not sure if they were ever officially in production)

They still make many mountain bike frames and have since the 80's. 853 ones start at about £750 and 953 £1400.

Back