Hi from Melbourne Australia

windlessdog

Retro Newbie
Hi I,ve joined your forum in the hope of gaining some information on an old frame i bought at a swap meet in Richmond behind a bike shop last year, The frame is an old Reynolds frame with decals that say D.L.Jaggard of London the only information I,ve have so far is that it may be from the Jaggard Mills bike shop that was once in Hearne Hill the frame is very similar to the Frejus bikes of the 60s, The guy I bought it from has the matching sister bike to this one but with all the original components, since the purhchase I have built the bike up and enjoy clocking up the miles on it but every time I jump on her I wonder who once owned it where did it come from was it ever raced they are all great thoughts that conjur up great images in my sweating head.
Ooroo regards Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.
When you are able to post a few pics that will help some of the resident experts give you some pointers.
You say its Reynolds tubing - the decal might give some pointers to the age, as they changed designs a little over the years. Again, a pic would help.
Does the owner of the sister bike have any pointers - eg how long they've had it, where they got it from etc?

Regards,

David

Hi Andy

Have you been to see John and Wolf at Pista bikes in Toorak road. John is a freak when it comes to old metal.

I remember a BLRC road racer from 1950, Dennis Jaggard, who rode as an independent (semi Pro) for I think France Sport. As it is not a common name he could be connected.
My time warp is 1950's 60's, (I'm nearly 80) and detail pics of the bike with the original equipment could help. Bear in mind that hand built UK frames were often very similar, and in London the same frame builders were often working for several retail shops.

Hi Keithglos
Firstly Thanks for the info
I think you could be on the money with Dennis Jaggard as the time frame of later racing career would match the era of the bike does anyone know ifhe was involved with the shop at Hern Hill
Ooroo Regards Andy

Jaggard doesn't ring a bell with me as a south London builder - they are all very well documented.

So the guess is that it was a shop buying frames from a builder and badging them up as his own.

Pictures always help.

I know a few experts (older guys than me, who'll know for sure).

Roadking (south London frame collector).

Denis Jaggard.

Hi, I thought another post would be best here...you mentioned the Jaggard is very like a Frejus - that is not a coincidence.

Denis Jaggard was a pro rider for Dayton in the 1940s, and went into business with the then editor of Bicycle magazine (called Mills) importing Frejus frames from Turin in the early 1950s. This did not last very long as (ended around 52/53) Evian then started importing Frejus frames but Jaggard's were very much copies.

We don't know who built Jaggard's frames but he did not build frames - they were supplied by another (English) builder.

A shop was in Half Moon Lane (Herne Hill, South London) then a location in west London.

Hope this helps.

Roadking.

Hi again I have hit 5 posts so photos we will have, or at least a link
It has a very buggered decal on the seat tube that says A PROD --- ACP or ACD or ACR not to sure 177 Holland Rd W.I--
dashes equall possible missing bits of words i cant remember if I have stated that it has an Italian bottom bracket or not.
thanks again for the info
Ooroo Regards Andy
20042010.jpg

may2011048.jpg

may2011049.jpg

That is a standard Italian seat lug used by numerous Italian manufacturers,
And the Campagnolo ends probably some time after 1952, but imply a decent frame, in the 1950's there were many Italian frames still using Simplex forged ends. Being in the UK I can't believe it has original chrome, we used to make jokes about Italian "rustissimo" chrome, some riders kept oily steel wool handy.

We had a chrome cleaner that "guarantees the chrome won't go rusty",

Absolutely correct, it's the steel underneath.

Latest posts

Back