New book covering Italian Cycling history

I'm part way through reading this one.
It covers cycling in Italy generally, with an emphasis (but not exclusively) on road racing. Quite a detailed book covering the cycling battalions of the first world war, when modern Italy was still very young - few speaking 'Italian', most still speaking very distinct local dialects. Political issues involving the bike, with trades unionists claiming it as the best thing since sliced ciabatta, giving freedom to workers, etc. The origins of Wilier (basically short for Long live the freedom of Italy) and the territorial issues with Trieste where Wilier was based (between Yugoslavia's Tito communists and the Italians, at the end of the second world war).

Anyway, I'm off to read some more...
David

How can Wilier stand for "Viva L'indipendenza d'Italia"???????? Gotta find out.

The fact that Italy as a concept is crumbling down is absolutely true ... Don't even hope this will bring the price of Pinarellos or Colnagos down, though!

I should have Mentioned that the book is a good read. It is a little more diverse than the usual road race focussed books, but all the better for that - puts the road racing ionto context.

novekili - if you don't get the book yourself, I'll copy the line regarding the origin of the Wilier name - let me know.

Regards,

David

Cossington said:
I should have Mentioned that the book is a good read. It is a little more diverse than the usual road race focussed books, but all the better for that - puts the road racing ionto context.

novekili - if you don't get the book yourself, I'll copy the line regarding the origin of the Wilier name - let me know.

Regards,

David

Yes please... I'm Italian but can't understand the acronym, apert from the W which stands for "long live"

novekili,
My memory wasn't quite accurate in my use of the word 'freedom'.

On page 83 mention is made of the 1946 Giro, with a stage due to finish in Trieste. Given the political 'debate' over the future of Trieste, this was fraught with last minute changes, (as the stage was being run - imagine that - just like 2011) attacks, etc.
Anyway, Wilier derives its name from ''...the patriotic expression 'W l'Italia, liberata e redenta' (Long live Italy, liberated and redeemed)....''

A recommended read.

Regards,
David

Back