1989 Diamondback Axis XT

What's wrong with the saddle position?

I'm not sure if I've got the rack now, I'll have a look. Remind me in a week if I forget!

I think this bike is complete now, I've found the (almost) correct rear mech and fitted it today. I spent about an hour sanding and polishing it:

imagepn.jpg

I also polished the calipers for her first trip to Llandegla.
Before and after:

imagefue.jpg

Polishes up nicely!

Hello Rampage!

I love the 1989 DB's, (just look at my gallery) and only now found this posting. Could you tell me how you polished up the bits in your last two photos, please?

Thank you very much,
Andre.

Hi, I hadn't seen those catalogs, i'll have to have a look through them when I have more time. Thanks.

The rear mech was sanded down using wet and dry going through thr grades until it was very smooth and then polished with Auto-Glymm metal polish.

The rear brakes were polished with the same polish using a rag wrapped round the cantilever a complete turn then pulling on each end of the rag in turn. This is a very quick way to get a good finish.

Chris

Awesome find.

My friend just gave me a complete Axis exactly like this one, though I think we actually dated it to 1990. I'll have to do some more digging. I think the reason the front fork feels like it wants to wash out is because this frame wasn't originally designed to be used with a rigid fork. From what I've gathered, the 1990 axis was being developed in conjunction with Rock Shox, and the bike was supposed to ship with a suspension fork.

However, for some reason they were not able to obtain the forks when it was time to produce the bike, so they had to come up with a solution that retained the original frame geometry (a curved fork would have obliterated it, while a straight fork delivers every bump to your arms, but retains the geometry).

Mine came with an aftermarket Rock Shox Mag 20, which is period correct, and improves the ride dramatically. If you ever get tired of riding fully rigid, you might keep a lookout for one, though complete rebuild kits are getting very hard to come by. The seal kits are still around though.

Once again, great find. I'm looking forward to getting mine rebuilt so I can ride it, though mine will be a little of old meets new and not a complete period-correct restoration, yet.

Re: Lovely

That's interesting about the suspension. Seems quite believeable too!

slimjoe" said:
Can i say how cool a Turbo saddle would look on it and maybe a M-730 XT seatpost in black?

I think my dad has a white one, is that what you mean?

I'll have to start getting it ready the Cannock ride in the new year soon. It's currently a single speed with drop bars!

I'm looking for some Tioga black flat bars too as the original ones have some deep scratches from the stem.

Your Diamondback axis is my dream bike. Have tried to find one for years. If you ever want to sell it contact me and I will buy it. Thanks

Back