"Your Thoughts on Polished Tubing"

Lazarus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
ALL thoughts welcome on "mirror polished tubing".

I acquired a poorly over sprayed Bonavia last year, so stripped it back to bare frame. I decided to mirror polish the forks and rear stays. They looked amazing. So I am pondering "lacquering the polished tubing" and a partial re-spray.

Pro's - Con's - No no's - whatever - your thoughts/experiences are most welcome on this topic, yours Laz

"The first pic is what I inherited. Ignore the blackpen marks, was toying with ideas"

Attachments

• Bonavia-before.jpg
    Bonavia-before.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 480
Apparently lacquer on its own is somewhat porous, the metal underneath will soon go rusty. I don't know if that's accurate, it's just what I've read.

Maybe a polyurethane varnish will be more waterproof.

Cheers Fiks :) "I've heard similar rumours / old wives tales but never had it confirmed". Thought this topic might raise a few eyebrows/cautionary tales from those who KNOW for sure :)

I know that polishing is detested by many in the fraternity as destruction, especially when it comes to cranks/brakes etc, but myself personally, I prefer it over scratches/patina/damage. Chroming is way beyond worth the value (based on all the prices I've been quoted)

Getting the polishing right is important, you have to use soaps and the correct polishing wheels and NOT abrasives. It is the soaps (and what is in them) that can give long lasting life back to "past it" components. The more the surface becomes smoother (less pitted), the more resistant to weather/aging.

I polished my 1st edition Chorus 2 years ago, and they are as good as the day they where done. Just a soapy sponge & dry cloth, and they are sparkling again :)

After all the polishing, I acetone the frame down to remove excess/residue oils/soaps. Then they get a final polish from a clean mop. It took 8hrs of polishing to get the bike where it is. About another 4 before its ready to lacquer.

Will let you know what happens when I lacquer after the final polish :)

Thanks for dropping by buddy, yours Laz.

I saw a brown coloured bike locked in the street yesterday. It had no paint and there was rust on most of the frame. However the frame looked a bit shiny and smooth, I think there was some sort of lacquer or varnish on it.

Back