NW&NW Area Bike Shops From BITD

Last one.

scan0007-3.jpg

Great stuff with those scans.
Post 'em up in the scans section too. I reckon everyone will find the prices and manufacturer ranges really interesting.

Sharrock Cycles, Chorley - closed the bike side of the business down to focus on what they did/do garden and agricultural machinery, if I remeber correctly the stocka nd staff went down the road, and are still going just cont remeber what its calle dnow, but when I went past in the summer all low end treks etc

TheGreenRabbit":2hr4lw68 said:
Sharrock Cycles, Chorley - closed the bike side of the business down to focus on what they did/do garden and agricultural machinery, if I remeber correctly the stocka nd staff went down the road, and are still going just cont remeber what its calle dnow, but when I went past in the summer all low end treks etc
Think it's 'buy-a-bike' or something like that.

I pretty much lived in Sharrocks as a kid, it was actually in eccleston and I lived used to live five minutes away......... I now live three minutes from where it was! Its now a interiors shop called 'oceans apart'........ I used to know James Sharrock quite well, I think the bike shop thing was just a bit of a hobby thing for him as the main family business is tractors and agricultural machinery as mentioned. I loved that shop, i remember drooling over the kleins and rocky mountains, they had a jellybean salsa at one point too! They had display cases stacked with ringle etc, I could never really afford anything in the shop but it was amazing to browse! I do remember when specialized ground control extreme tyres came out (the 2.5" ones!) a load of us got some from there, fitted them on the spot and headed round the corner to bluebell woods where we stayed well into the summers evening....... good times.

'Buy-a-Bike' has been mentioned too, I'm not sure if sharrocks stock or staff went there, but I worked there for a couple of years as a mechanic in my summer holidays from school and college. They had some great bikes back in the day, s-works specializeds and composite treks etc. but they have gone more budget orientated now. The owners are John and Pete, Pete lives in the same village as me now, nice guy.

Buy-a-Bike

Worst radio jingle ever...

Buy-a-Bike,
Buy-a-Bike,
Get down to Charnock Richard Cycles....

I seem to remember the place getting done over 2 or 3 times when I lived in CR.

Befiore that I lived in Bretherton and played footy for Eccy, used to drool over all of the shiny things in Sharrocks window, whilst riding my (fuscia and mint?!) Peugeot Anaconda (which got nicked from the garden of the Travellers Rest!)

happy daze indeed!
JP

Pleased to see my own LBS, Eddie McGrath's in there - and gutted I wasn't around to buy all of their Dynatech stuff in '93! They still get odds and ends of Raliegh stock in, but nothing as mouthwatering as that...

Bought my GT from Charnock Richard Cycles... The annoying jingle must have worked. This was before it branded itself as 'Buy a Bike' in the big store it has now.

Bought the fork and LX rear mech that are still on it from leisure Lakes near Southport... The bike club I was briefly a member of (it was renamed The Groovy Tribe while I was a member, now I think it's called just 'The Tribe' or something) had links with them so I got a 10% discount as a member.

My bikes as a kid came from Olympus Cycles in Wigan... Initially I remember it being near Smiths of Wigan (also closed) it moved to across from Wigan North Western station before closing down and becoming a Cash Converters.

ashton biking cycles or abc in ashton,my 2 mates worked in it.got my 92 gt timberline and my bros teqesta and his mates ava al,whitch i now own :cool:. had some top bikes gt,sunn also loads of top kit.long gone now.happy days ;)

Back