1987 Raleigh 531c 'Race'

Ah, despite me saying it would be good to touch it up, i'd be very keen to see the finished result, so do please post up some pics of the bike.

The 'GOD' decal does ring a bell in me now that you've said.

I really like the Raleighs from this time, I think people forget just how good they were.

My cousin has finally built it up and has even been racing it! Here's a picture of it in it's latest guise:

Attachments

• DSC00528.JPG
    DSC00528.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 2,131
Raleigh 531c Race

Could not believe it when I found a nearly duplicate what I was riding late 80s early 90s even down to the shimano 600 gears.

This is the only frame I have purchased but then its been over 25 yrs since I have started to cycle again.

Before that as a teenager I campaigned on another 25 yr Pennine frame which was too big, but was donated by my grandfather at the time.

Started cycling again last year & its amazing how the old training routes start flooding back, but forgot about how steep some of those hills are in south devon.

I have entered the Dartmoor Classic this year so thought I would respray the frame. I wanted to modernise but keep the retro look, but cost & comfort was the first priority so last year I invested in the Campag Centaur Groupset.

The bike weight dropped from a respectable 22.5 pounds to 19.5 pounds, admittedly I did replace stem & bars with nitto items, but had real difficulty finding 40cm shallow drop bars in alloy as opposed to black anodized which is what I could find.

Oh the other interesting stuff is the wheels. All those years ago i built a pair of Mavic Gel 280 28h tubular rims on Suntour hubs, but were only used for time trailing then. With the 10 speed kit, had to spread the frame a bit. I rebuilt the wheels with Miche Racing box hubs, had a few problems initially by not putting enough tention in the spokes, but they run really well now.

Just had the frame resprayed as Subura metalic blue , so now would like to share my excitement

Oh the frame number is WK7000641
[/img]

slightlt OT.

Planet X are good for cheap bars...
I'm doing the Dartmoor Classic and am in a quandry over bike / gears... Did half the route yesterday as far as the turn to Holne on a heavish Bianchi with a triple so could use a 29" lowest gear as a bail out , tho' usually kept to 36 as a minimum. The bike weighs 25 lbs so needs the low gears. I did Ashburton to Chagford, Mortonhampstead, Bovey, Liverton Ahburton on a fondriest alloy with a Centaur 10 speed lowest gear was 36" on a road double with 29 at the back and only struggled on the steep bit out of Ash'ton to Auswell cross (am 62 and need a bit of help before running out of puff! )
I've sold the Fondriest frame which is long and aero geometry so looking for a frame replacement; Colin Lewis have nice Condor Fratellos with a light steel frame, carbon forks and can build with my Centaur gruppo but I'll find a compact crank for help with the vertical bits!

Raleigh looks an absolute peach, my frame 531C got lunched by a shop that used a jig to free a stuck seatpost and the seat lug twisted and collapsed :(

oldmuthariley":zxlu5x3y said:
that's turned out really nice - i have a similar condor frame i'm thinking of getting resprayed pearl white...

Speaking of pearl white, you've probably seen mine - owned from new, colour called Oyster.

I have an SBDU in a pale blue pearl.

Lovely.

Roadking.

Attachments

• CorsaTwo.jpg
    CorsaTwo.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,424
roadking":3rwog89e said:
Speaking of pearl white, you've probably seen mine - owned from new, colour called Oyster.

Lovely.

Roadking.

That is lovely, I like that a lot :D

roadking":61inqfn1 said:

Lovely.

Roadking.

RooKilo":1w9oddqf said:
roadking":1w9oddqf said:

Lovely.

Roadking.

Feedback always appreciated RK..mind you, although that red Rolls saddle is 20+ years old, and despite being out of the sun when stored, its colour is nearly, well, gone!

And I never completed the early 600 group...OCD in old(er)age compells me to seek out pedals, seatpost and stem...

Rk.

Back