Great big Purbecks ride aftermath (or 5 get lost in Dorset!)

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Just recovering from one of the hardest days riding I've ever done.
It all started when I left my place around 09:30 for what I'd hoped was a leisurely 3 mile spin along the prom to meet the others at the chain ferry.
I hadn't bargained on the gale force head wind I would meet when I got there!
I also met up with Lumos2000, who was cycling around my area trying to remember where I live :D

We both pushed on, both being thoroughly sand-blasted! We both arrived at the ferry very much warmed up.
A few of my mates arrived, and we headed over to Studland to meet up with Gravymonster and Guybe.
A quick round of handshakes, and we set off into the wind for Corfe.
The sand of the heath was extra sapping with the wind factor on top, and we somehow managed to loose Lumos200 somewhere around the golfcourse. This was our last sighting...

CIMG0585.jpg

We used the 15 minutes we waited to get valuable rest but, when Luke didn't appear, we carried on.
The only section where we gained any real respite from the conditions was when we were climbing Mount Muddy Funster (or words to that effect :D ). Once we reached the top, the wind hit us again and we carried on down to Corfe. I went ahead to open a gate and get some action shots, James putting my mates with their modern machines to shame!....

CIMG0596.jpg

CIMG0597.jpg

CIMG0598.jpg

The joy of the brilliant down-hill int0 Corfe was soon a memory as we trudged on towards Lulworth into the un-relenting wind.
We eventualy reached the point where we turned East, and had the wind at our backs, and heading down into Kimeridge for some well deserved lunch.
It was after lunch that it all started to go a bit wrong. I'd decided to try a new route, following the coastal path. This was a big mistake. Some sections were wonderfull twisty single track, with stunning views...

CIMG0637.jpg

CIMG0636.jpg

but others were hikes up rediculous sets of steps and cliffs that really tried our patience and fitness!
I made a decision to scrap this route (before I was pushed off a cliff!) and headed back in land and back to trails I know.
This did reward up with an excellent rocky decent that had all parties grinning at the bottom.
Only one more lung-bursting hill to got and then some cracking bits of fast singletrack back towards Studland.
Some quick goodbyes to James and Guy, and then time for a quick pint in the harbour before my final spin back home along the prom.
For those who met at the ferry, this was a 31 mile ride. I had an extra 6 miles on top.
We climbed a total of 2477 feet over the course of the ride too!

i was strugling to keep up so decided to drop down the other side of the golf course into the forest, a lot less wind, thought i might catch you at corfe but obviously missed you. good job really as i dont think id be fit for work tomorow if i kept that up till kimmridge. bumped into an old friend doing a charity ride so ended up ridding back to poole park with him. ive just scrapped the sand out of my eyes and im fighting the urge to take a hammer to my seatpost :D

Wow what a day :LOL:

It started at 06:30 for me where I left home via Lyme Regis and then over to Studland.

Was indeed an absolute killer of ride but no pain and no gain, the pain was wrists from no suspension with canti brakes, Legs from all the gorse & stingers and my ribs from all the banter :LOL: But the gain was defo the veiws, single track rat runs and great company. Shame we lost Luke :( Guy sends his thanks for todays ride and he has confirmed he is shattered (I have never heard him say that :shock: ) :LOL:

I have just showered and and now realising the sun and wind combo is not a great look :D

005-11.jpg

002-10.jpg

006-9.jpg

007-11.jpg

008-12.jpg

009-8.jpg

010-11.jpg

011-10.jpg

012-8.jpg

013-4.jpg

Just for you Makster :LOL:
015-8.jpg

lumos2000":2c5sb1kg said:
i was strugling to keep up so decided to drop down the other side of the golf course into the forest, a lot less wind, thought i might catch you at corfe but obviously missed you. good job really as i dont think id be fit for work tomorow if i kept that up till kimmridge. bumped into an old friend doing a charity ride so ended up ridding back to poole park with him. ive just scrapped the sand out of my eyes and im fighting the urge to take a hammer to my seatpost :D

No worries Luke. There were a few comments that you'd made a wise decision! Gload you met up with someone else too

Back