Demon Frameworks mtb, pro pics on page 14! update 25/12/21

FTW doesn't have a current site does he? i found a blog but no website? i'd be interested in his stuff but again the price+ tax etc would probably be silly.

i think my top out price would be about £1400 if i do do it. roberts is less by miles and demon quote 1200 for f+f and i wouldn't need a fork.

why not do one of those build your own courses?

i'm pretty sure you could pay the extra for the tubing you wanted and get everything approved geometry wise - downside is you'd have built it yourself, plus side is that you would be riding your own custom geometry, built by yourself to your own spec.

it won't get any more custom than that!

must admit that does sound interesting but the dave yates course i assume would be expensive and then pointless if you can't then carry on (to practise) so you sort of lose the skill, although i did find this earlier

http://www.framebuilding.com/index.htm a place to get frame parts but alot of it is lugs and i'd prefer mitered tubes and fillet brazing if i am honest.

should be asleep as i start work in 5 hours but i was just looking at the dave yates frame building course. £879 for the course plus minimum £180 for materials plus paint plus b+b for 5 nights for an unpainted frame with no warranty.

i like the idea of building my own frame but i think it's alot overall. it would be the same as what you'd pay for an indy fab over here though . . . hmm.

I've been thinking about a custom steel frame as well, was thinking about going to Kevin Winter. Found another UK builder that TIG welds on the internet, can't for the life of me remember what they were called though.

Agree with you on the UK vs. USA thing. The way I see it, a custom Indy Fab (for example) will cost a fair bit more than, say, a Winter and won't be any better. If the builder's in the UK you can go and see them and explain exactly what you want rather than explaining things via email.

Anyway, good thread and interesting links.

Reading between the lines :D ....
It seems that what you really really want is a custom Ti frame non?
So potentially you may spend an awful lot of money on something that is very nearly what you want, but not quite? And as a result still not have scratched that particular itch.
I may be quite wrong of course ;)

jonnyboy666":35k6x0co said:
should be asleep as i start work in 5 hours but i was just looking at the dave yates frame building course. £879 for the course plus minimum £180 for materials plus paint plus b+b for 5 nights for an unpainted frame with no warranty.

i like the idea of building my own frame but i think it's alot overall. it would be the same as what you'd pay for an indy fab over here though . . . hmm.

bit of a waiting list for the course I think.

Dave Yates":35k6x0co said:
Availability & Booking

All Dave's courses are currently fully booked . However, if you would be interested in a place should we have any cancellations, please let us know by email

yeah i saw that waiting list but 2012 isn't actually that far away and i was thinking that this frame would be for next summer, meaning if i order a custom build it will be from september onwards and if i build the frame at dave yates then it's whenever there is a slot, don't forget, i work shifts and can effectively get time off when most people struggle.

after a Pm conversation with Lee (development) i emailed Frank the welder late last night, by 5.30am this morning he had replied! i realise there is a time difference but even so that is an amazingly quick come back!

i said what sort of thing i was looking for and why and he has given me a couple of things to think about and the price wasn't as high as i expected but again the thing that will likely kill the idea is the import/vat/post etc by my workings a frame from Frank will be over here for around £1100 but to get it at that price i would be sacrificing a nice paint job (not that that is the main concern) he said it would be another $400+ for "fancy paint" and as a comparison to the UK options they are this sort of money including the fancy paint!

don't get me wrong here i am not dissing Franks work, from what i can tell he is giving me an option to reduce the cost significantly by not going mad on paint, which is sensible, and what a good builder should do, meaning give the customer options.

i must admit though the thought of building my own frame is tempting.

this is gonna take some thinking. :?

oh, mike, defo don't want Ti, just can't justify that sort of money. it would be a waste of a frame on someone that doesn't live up to the performance of the frame, and then i would be THAT BERK with all the gear etc. steel built right is beautiful to ride, it's why i like my 07 clockwork and my 92 explosif and my 95 P7 ;)

Re: thinking about a custom frame . . . . hmm

jonnyboy666":2tz7orqy said:
the people i am thinking of going to see are:-

www.robertscycles.com

PM Woodsman before you go down that route! He'll tell you his story :shock:

Shame, an iconic builder that is not what it used to be.

Back