Went to LBS today and...

jax13":v6vomlpw said:
i think it looks like a happy meal toy. :oops:

not a fan of glossy paint jobs unless they are plain white, not a fan of curved top tubes, and after riding my bro's hardrock a couple of years ago..... i'm not a huge fan of spesh either (although i am open minded enough to give a 'proper' one a go in the future to try and change my mind)

personal preference and all that! :cool:

How old was the Hardrock? They went through a period of being horrible a few years back....

jax13":1srbo7ur said:
i think it looks like a happy meal toy. :oops:

not a fan of glossy paint jobs unless they are plain white, not a fan of curved top tubes, and after riding my bro's hardrock a couple of years ago..... i'm not a huge fan of spesh either (although i am open minded enough to give a 'proper' one a go in the future to try and change my mind)

personal preference and all that! :cool:

Sorry but I have to agree although for me it's the red rims that tip it over the edge. I cringe every time i see white or red frames with matching rims..

Other than that nice find..Let us know how it rides

rosstheboss":104g0emt said:
How old was the Hardrock? They went through a period of being horrible a few years back....

probably about 5 years old.

from memory, its a hardrock sport (flat black colour if that helps to narrow down the year) with a horrific mismatch of spesh branded kit, deore rear mech, alivio front, sram shifters, tektro V's........... AS STANDARD.

i took one look and couldn't work out why they didn't just drop either full alivio, full deore or full x-3 / 5 on it so the bike actually looked finished!!

added to the pogo stick RST's on the front of it, it was a woeful bike to try and ride with any conviction.

EarlofBarnet":5fqxvb8k said:
Bit of a un-fair comparison a £300 bike to a £1,500 bike.

i did say i was open minded enough to rethink my stance on spesh should the opportunity to ride something decent come along!!

my original opinion of look etc. isn't exclusive to this bike - the shape of the modern oranges, among others also does nothing for me at all. I think it is solely the curvy tubing and paint that does it!!! they all look like a happy meal toy!!

I know where you're coming from. Before I bought this I've cringed at pictures of some of the Rockhopper colour schemes in the magazine reviews. Think it is the wheels that is that one step too far.

Guess if I put black wheels on it would kind of look like this:

mf11316_2011_rockhopper_comp_redblk.jpg

Back