My not so new Kona Hot FINAL update.

Which wheels

• Bullseye with the non retro ritchey's 7 Speed

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nuke Proof on Mavics lighter 8 Speed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow guys, thanks for the comments and especially mynchiboy who has really shed light on the history of this bike and described perfectly the feeling you get when riding it "floating". However its p3tester who should get all the credit for component mix and not having split it when i turned up :D

The rear cassette i think is 11 - 28 and the small top ring on the front a 49t. I reckon the weight is somewhere between 20 and 22lbs but i have no scales.

The only problem I've found with it is that my legs are just a little tiny bit too long so unless i can get away with an even longer seat post i may have to do the unthinkable and let somebody else enjoy it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hot

mynchiboy":20uxh6dc said:
A bit of history on my part...

I was the second owner, I bought this back in 2007 (ish) from the chap who bought it new. Hots were special order only, I believe it was imported and sold via Stif cycles as there was still an original sticker on it when I received it. The bike was raced until '95 then mothballed until it was mine....

It was pretty tatty - I ended up spending a small fortune sending it off to Argos cycles and having the paint matched exactly. H Lloyd did the decals for me (I didn't know about the skills of gil then!). I was running motolites so had the extra cable guide added on the top tube as well ;)

I can confirm that the ride is great, the prestige concept frame makes the bike seem to float! Weight when I had it was around 22 pounds if I recall with a similar build as here.

Enjoy it anyways, I've probably some pictures of the frame as I received it pre resto if it helps :)

Whow! what a small world. The original owner offered me that very frame before you bought it fella :shock: I held it in my hands in its original paint and didnt buy it :oops:

Nice bike and lovely build.

Update

Finally got round to opening the large box in my garage today, here's what i found :)

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

These wheels are absolutely beautiful imo, they're NOS rims on NOS fr Hub and barely used rear, Radially laced fr and half radial half 3 cross rears, same tyres as before. Only down side is i now need a spacer for the 7 speed freewheel or a really nice 8sp freewheel.

Not taking anything away from the Nukes though as they too are very nice and will be treated to some slicks as a road set.

Still not great pic's but shows the colour of the frame better i think.

I have a question:
On every Teesdale Hot that I have owned, 5 so far, the seatpost binder has been a Kona “dog collar” not a “built in” one. Has the binder always been this way?

Never mind, answered my own question. So this is a 1991?

Very cool. I have owned 2 in that same Orange. I think it is my favorite color.

Well I never did find a NOS or nearly NOS or even excellent condition black Syncros post in 27.0 longer than 330mm but... I did find something which after fitting I think is just as good so finally I can really enjoy this bike and stop having to contemplate getting rid :D :D

DSC00434.jpg

Finding the seat post was the hard bit but once it was on the bike things just didn't look quite right so decided on a matching stem....

DSC00435.jpg

And bars

I'm sure some will prefer the Syncros Titec set up but the weight of each bar stem combo really was about the same despite Controltech bars being wider.

Only problem now is what to do without having built in brake noodle?

A problem Solver cable hanger heated and slightly tweeked sorted that out and a home made ally spacer courtesy of a friend so it sat nice on top of the headset.

Finally got round to putting the chill pills on too whaich I think tidy things up nicely.

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

Hope you like

DSC00436.jpg

Back