campione road bike ... can you help me put a year on it?

1970sframe

Dirt Disciple
hi all, this old racer was given to me about six years ago by my mother-in-law's partner. unfortunately, he is no longer with us, but i have been keeping this classic looking road bike going in his memory. i used it to commute every day for four years (10 mile round trip) ... now i use it about twice a week on a longer commute (22 mile round trip).

i had to change a lot of stuff to keep it going. the chainset, chain and freewheel are all new. so are the wheels - i got the bike with vintage looking wolbers, but i was getting them repaired every couple of months so i gave up on them. it now has some budget quandos. i had to fit new mudguards too.

here's some stuff i haven't changed:

brooks leather saddle
shimano 600 brake levers and sidepull brakes
cinelli "campione del mondo" drop handles
shimano dura ace front derailleur
suntour cyclone rear derailleur
campagnolo shifters

there is no branding on the bike except the words "campione".

can anyone out there offer any more info about this bike? thanks very much in advance!

cheers, jules.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,652
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,647
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,647
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,646
it's clearly not a lost treasure ... but can anyone help identify this bike? is it as italian as it looks?!

views greatly appreciated :)

cheers!

Hi Julian - if you get time, stick some photos of the drop outs, the seat cluster, the fork crown and the head tube lugs up.

Is there a serial number stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket shell, or on one of the drop outs?

hallo goldie, thanks very much indeed for your response.

i found the words "brev campagnolo" stamped into the rear drop outs. it is also stamped into the front drop outs ... but barely legible due to wear. at the bottom bracket, there is a serial number 052934 (possibly followed by a 1 or 7, but can't be sure due to paint deterioration), the letters 'EO' within a diamond shape, and the number '8' stamped in. additional photos of the areas you suggested are below. whaddya think?

Attachments

• fork_crown.jpg
    fork_crown.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,464
  • lugs.jpg
    lugs.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,464
  • seat_cluster.jpg
    seat_cluster.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,463
  • dropout_1.jpg
    dropout_1.jpg