1999 Psycle Werks Wild Hare

not meaning to insult you here...

but have you slid the rubber bottom out bumber up the shaft?
that is normally just held by friction but if its been on there years it could be pretty tight by now and stopping the spilt collar from moving (josh is right, it should just slide up and off)

on another note I have a few springs for those shocks kicking around, from 400 up to 600lbs I think so if you want a 400 or 450lbs one i should be able to sort you out for cost of postage if you like?

Hope you get it built up soon, I had one for a year so in 2001 - 2002, never should have sold it, polished too, i'll dig out a couple of pics later!

Matt

No need to worry about accidental insults, I know nothing of these shocks and all info is greatly appreciated!!

Seems from pm's I have learned the spring on there at the mo is possibly too long for the shock (says 650x196 on it, should be 150 surely...), which means even with it totally wound out it still has some tension and goes the whole shock length, and therefore holds everything jammed together, nothing sliding anywhere fast.....no idea how it was put on there!?

I am tempted to saw it in half to get it off and replace with new spring (even just as the thing looks unsightly), which would make me very interested in your offer!!! Just not sure yet what tension I need. I weigh 77kg and plan to drop him off the odd edge/jump fairly regularly, but nothing too hooliganish. I guess I should just try it the way it is, but the fact it has a spring not meant to be on there combined with the spring having rust and filth on it just makes me want to get rid of it and start again neat. Don't want old filth on me bike......

Get out yer old pics, would love to see more!! Seems only a very finite number of Wild hare pics in Google's reach, and I've seen them all..... :)

I have to say the frequency of "I never should have sold it" statements from ex owners is making me pretty excited to give this here Hare a runaround!!! :cool:

Waiting for the new pivot bolts now....the bushings have 8 weeks til delivery, but I reckon I can go on the old ones til then.....drilled out the bottom shock hole yesterday, as it had been mashed shut and become unuseable. Back to possible choice of 3.5 and 4.5 travel now... :D

I have a feeling this Hare might live out his days with me.....hopefully very slowly......but then you never know.....perhaps he's destined for the path of a retrobike whore ;)

you could be right about the length of the spring, cos those shocks are normally 165mm i2i and 38mm stroke (1.5 inch) but a 2in stroke spring should just about fit as i've used them in the past too, but if its a heavy one (ie about 600lbs or bigger) then the overall length will be longer...

hope you get it off anyway!

I'll dig out those pics and rummage and see what shock springs i have too. The spring calculator on the TF tuned website is normally pretty accurate for workign out what weight you need. I'll PM you back with what i have in the box...

for what it's worth I used to find the hare rides best with about 30% sag, but you do have to put up with some bobbing on the ups, run it stiffer and the bob is less but it's just not as much fun on the downs :)
Only ever ran an air shock on it for about a month, never felt as nice as with the coil and never felt like it got full travel either, but then I generally prefer coils anyway and run them on most of my bikes so I'm a bit biased!

Matt

also forgot to mention... because of the travel adjust you might find you need different weight springs for the different settings as at 77kg with 4.5inch of travel you'd be looking at a 600 - 700lbs spring depending on sag and riding style, but in the 3.5inch setting it's more like 450 - 550lbs

cant seem to find the good pics but found a few low res ones of when i first got it as a frame and one built up, sorry for the poor quality!

Attachments

• Psyclewerks ad.jpg
    Psyclewerks ad.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Psyclewerks ae.jpg
    Psyclewerks ae.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Psyclewerks af.jpg
    Psyclewerks af.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,436
  • psyclewerks aa.jpg
    psyclewerks aa.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,436
Wow, thanks for all the great info, Matt! So maybe the old 650x196 spring would be just right at 4.5. But it's so dirty/ugly, I would rather replace with a newer one just for visual, and if the length is 1.5 I could easily swap springs which would be nice.

I assume the bottom hole for the back of the shock is for 4.5 and the higher one (like you're in in your second pic) is for 3.5?

Back