rBOTM May - put in your entries

Status
Not open for further replies.
stedlocks":sf5syjbc said:
Hetchins Magnum Bonum Scorpion
Apparently slightly different to most and could be a special order.....original bill of sale was lost in a house move!
Campag SR first gen seatpin (colnago Panto'd) and rear mech, SR front mech, Apparently a Campag/Colnago special chainset, but some say a Gipiemme.....either way I like it.
Gold (yep, I know) Galli brakes, gold anno Excelto hubs (excellent quality) laced to red anno CXP33's......(I know as well!!). Brooks honey tape around some NOS Middlemore randonneur bars, Cinelli stem, Brooks honey pro saddle......I think thats it.

It has the unusual 'Italiante' rear stays, which I like as well.......

It's a rubbish iphone picture........if I can get hold of a digicam, am I allowed to change the photo?

I am very confused by this bike. I take from your description above, as well as the photo, that you were not the original owner. Did you buy it as a complete bike or as frame alone?

There is not a single part on this bike that is not collection worthy! I can well understand the anodizing on this type of bike. In many ways the anodized parts could not find a more appropriate frame upon which to be fitted. One of the things that confuses me therefore is the mixing of different colour anodizing. Red anodizing on the rims that is quite different from the frame colour, then two colour variants of gold. If your Excelto hubs are anything like the ones that I have seen previously, their colour is very different from the Galli brakes (as you already noted, your photo is quite lacking in detail and clarity, meaning that we need to imagine more than actually observe) Galli produced a complete gruppo of anodized parts of a reasonably good quality, perhaps it would have been more appropriate to search out such a group. Likewise, why would you fit a Colnago pantographed seatpost (which appears to be far too extended for any model ever sold by Colnago) and a Colnago pantographed chainset? These parts are highly sought after by Colnago owners, so it would be child's play to trade these parts out for something in keeping with the rest of the bike, making two bikes complete. Moving on to the handlebars, you have selected handlebars that represent for many the ultimate in comfort, given their slightly upward rise. However if the photo is not deceiving, you have fitted the brake levers far lower than average negating the whole purpose of the bend of this particular model of handlebars.

I realize that you are only supposed to post a maximum of two photos in this thread, so I would like to suggest that you open another thread in which you post a number of close-up photos showing all the details. If the shots are taken close-up, I would guess that photos taken with your phone camera would be acceptable. Otherwise it is clear that better photos taken with a digital camera would be even more desirable. I for one would like to see more.

PS: I like the ding dong, having seen the size and nice chroming, I can even imagine hearing the sound in my mind.
PPS: I have a set of Super Champion Gentleman rims with gold anodizing, as well as two sets of Ambrosio rims in both blue and red awaiting the appropriate bike...

Thanks for the detailed reply.... I'll attempt to answer some of the points you mentioned :0)
Firstly, I am a very sentimental person when it comes to items like this.
The story goes, that the original owner of this bike , mr Graham Ballard (his name is still on the top tube in gold calligraphy), used to ride his father's bicycle, also a hetchins, day in, day out until one day he broke it. His father took him to alf het bins shop in Southend in 1979 and bought 2 frames... One for himself and one for Graham's 15th birthday!
They then must have built them up with parts from doner bikes.... It seems this one got the mech, seatpost and chainset from a colnago Mexico of early 70's vintage. The wheels are a set that were built by my lbs as Graham's "Sunday best". I bought the bike from him after Graham sold it to him when he stopped riding after nearly getting killed by a motorbike coming round the corner on the wrong side of the road.... He never rode a bike again.
Now who am I to change these parts when he putt em on the bike? I can't bring myself to do it......the saddle, however, was ripped and battered, so I feel justified in changing that and the bars were bent too, so they were changed for something more to my liking. The bartape is a consumable, so I don't mind changing that ;0)
As to the colours, the golds are not a bad match, in the flesh, and the rims are not too far off..... Obviously not a match, but complimentary, in my opinion.
Basically, this was (and still very much is), a well loved, pleasure inducing machine..... And it fits me like an absolute glove! I can go for a 50 miles loop and end up sticking another 25 miles on and getting in trouble with my wife..... It's that nice to ride. The seatpin is inserted with the minimum line below the top tube too ;0)
All in all, it is a sublime classic lightweight racing bike that can do miles in comfort, whilst still looking true to it's heritage.....IMHO. ;0)

I still only have my phone.... I've ordered a new charger for my digicam, but it's not here yet.......I have a thread in the bikes section on here, but I'll update with better photos when I can.
Cheers for reading!!

Just for a laugh, here is my Raleigh Cadet 12 “Panasonic”

These were only made for two years in this livery, ’84-‘85 in 10 speed, and ’85-‘86 in 12 speed. This low end Raleigh had oval seat and down tubes. I have upgraded the pedals, brakes, and levers. Restored only enough to ride, I know it is not a concours example, but I like it, and that’s what matters!

Adjusted.jpg

Adjusted2.jpg

If Klein is cool and Spinergy is uncool...

If Klein is cool and Spinergy is uncool...

Where does that leave my bike? I ride every day 40km and it is a joy to ride!

It's a 57cm 1996 Quantum Pro in Pearl Yellow, Last edition of the Spinergy Rev X wheels and full Dura Ace 7800 groupset.

5648878410_dbe6174230_b.jpg
[/b]

slotcar55":14zgcmde said:
the klein is a cool bike , beautiful !
but I don't understad ..... Is it a retro bike ???

It's a retro bike age-wise, it's just that Gary Klein was at least 10 years ahead of his time.

I wish more people bought and built up Klein Quantum Pro's with modern components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back