Skyway mags/bleaching/polishing/hubs and axle build

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

Senior Retro Guru
I posted this on the burner sites and thought that some of you may like to see as well ;)

Have finished Phils skyway mags - bleach white and polish hubs (not easy to keep clean when polishing with the white mags )

pictures on how i got on +

some one on the other side asked about which nuts and bits go where - i thought i would also put it up on here as well to see if it can help any one as well

how i got them

SNC18206.jpg

don't know what the stain was ? hard to shift
SNC18207.jpg

SNC18208.jpg

SNC18210.jpg

then bleached

SNC18212.jpg

SNC18213.jpg

SNC18214.jpg

SNC18215.jpg

SNC18434.jpg

then polish hubs by hand

SNC18433.jpg

so take one polished hub with nothing in it

SNC18435.jpg

right now gently tap the bearing cup in place this has the bearing cage in there

SNC18442.jpg

now grab some grease and smear enough in there - cocktail stick pushes it between the bearings nicely (the word is c0cktail not sh!t stick)

SNC18443.jpg

now grab your nuts and bits :shock:

SNC18439.jpg

SNC18436.jpg

put your cone nut on the axle - this is how it looks, as in fits onto the bearings

SNC18444.jpg

on the front axle you need to have it the same length each side - the rear you have to play around with

SNC18457.jpg

next is your cone nut washer nut - this will tighten up against the cone nut - now each side will tighten up against the bearings - this has to be enough for the axle to spin and not wobble/knock, but not too tight that the bearing can't turn and wear away - now this is not the easy job that it sounds and one that you learn over time - the grease is fresh and will take a little time to warm up and spin faster - it is a good idea to return to the axle and nuts to check how loose it has become and if it needs tightening again

how to tighten - you need two tools that fit the cone nut and the washer nut - keeping the cone nut still with the tool turn the washer nut to tighten it - just before it comes to a stop turn the cone nut tool - this will stop it from crushing the bearings and allow a bit of slack (but not too much) you may have to undo and redo it a couple of time before you get it perfect (good luck)

SNC18448.jpg

SNC18447.jpg

SNC18449.jpg

now put on the washer and then the outer nut - you can see the gap and where the rear drop out will sit - you can put extra washers on the inside of the drop out to fill out, as not every frame has the same size at the back - size of axle / cone nuts / washers / nuts ~ can be different sizes to each build and set up

SNC18450.jpg

if you are sending out a set of wheels - do the nuts up to the hub or they can come loose and fall off and out of a hole in the box

SNC18458.jpg

get Alice to check them out

SNC18454.jpg

cloudy day - bugger as would look better in the sun
SNC18462.jpg

SNC18460.jpg

hope this helps all

cheers B

awesome work mate, i am looking to get a pair of white mags for a custom build for my mag burner. currently have black. Do you have any for sale? or a possible swap for these? (although i would prefer to buy as i'm a little reluctant to part with these fine examples!)

See my black mags on my burner here:
magburner_01.jpg

magburner_02.jpg

magburner_03.jpg

you could polish up the hubs on your simplex there :cool:

sorry i don't have any white mags for sale or swap - keep an eye out on ebay or go for a set of new skyway mags on ebay, they sell them cheap but won't have the old alloy hub to polish up

cheers B ;)

there be lots i need to polish up on that! ;) its my 'when i get a garage' project....its currently residing at my parents :(

I had my Pro Burner in the bedroom for a while as i din't have a place to keep it - worth a bit, so not gonna leave it chain up out side :LOL: wife not too happy :twisted:

Bendy, you legend. With my skyways desperately needing a hub rebuild, this is invaluable, thank you
thumbsup.gif

skyway rebuilds

hi there i have some bits for skyway wheel rebuilds pm for details or checkout my ad in bmx for sale thread.
cheers John

Back