Campag 9 speed ergo levers

orbeas

Retro Guru
I have various models of Campag ergo levers all are 9 speed

they are mirage - centaur - chorus

they are all the same except for differant logo's with plastic bodies and alloy levers

what is supposed to be the difference as they are all differant prices but look the same.

the centaur and the chorus have cut outs in the gear change lever with the mirage having none.

orbeas":2qk6m0s3 said:
I have various models of Campag ergo levers all are 9 speed

they are mirage - centaur - chorus

they are all the same except for differant logo's with plastic bodies and alloy levers

what is supposed to be the difference as they are all differant prices but look the same.

the centaur and the chorus have cut outs in the gear change lever with the mirage having none.

The Chorus - and probably the Centaur too - will have smoother-working innards with better bearing surfaces. Also, the part that the gear cable threads into will be metal and more durable, whereas on some of the cheaper Ergos it is sometimes plastic and wears out more readily (I had an early incarnation of cheap 8-speed Ergos and this part eventually rounded off on its shaft so that gear operation was hit and miss).

David

If I remember rightly the Chorus ones have ball bearings in their mechanisms for a smoother and faster action.
Also some of the cheaper ones will only select up and down by one gear, while the top end ones can sweep through the lot in a single stroke.

It's difficult to comment further without knowing what age they are etc.

hamster":x7l5tdi9 said:
If I remember rightly the Chorus ones have ball bearings in their mechanisms for a smoother and faster action.
Also some of the cheaper ones will only select up and down by one gear, while the top end ones can sweep through the lot in a single stroke.

It's difficult to comment further without knowing what age they are etc.

The number of gears you can go up/down by is, I think, the same across the board for 9-speed. The cheapo "Escape" mechanism only allowing one-at-a-time shifts applies to lower-end 10-speed stuff although I think it's now been ditched for Veloce groups and the old shifting pattern reinstated.

David

Back