Sprints vs Clinchers

tub

Thats a kind offer, thanks but if its the only 27mm around and it only comes in green it will only frustrate me more! What are they thinking of? Green is a marginalised colour in the bike world - its less common than pink - even in the 80's. I reckon they would sell these by the ton if they had an all-black or black-tan version on general sale. Even BLUE would sell more. Or red.
But thanks anyway.

I mentioned the Dyason tubs, but having had a look they are expensive - I`m sure he had a cheaper line some time ago. There is the chance of 32 mm cyclocross tubs if you look around - some of theses have treads which are `only a bit knobbly` & might suit on rougher roads. You can get 36 hole rims like those mentioned pretty easily & if you`d like to know where, I can tell you where to get mavic stickers to make it look like you paid about £150 for a pair of rims which were 30 years old!

I think 'SSC' means that it is one of the wheels that the Mavic race support cars give out? so quite a few Mavic wheels like the Ksyriums and Cosmics have an SSC badge.
The Mavic Reflex rim is good for racing and very light. It is the rim that used to come on the red Mavic Helium climbing wheels (Laurant Jalabert circa 1995?)

Does anyone remember Mavic making a 'Classics' weelset?
I wonder if these wheels used the wider mavic rim???

A mavic `Service de Course` rim as used in the classics & famously by Sean Kelly was 22mmm - most are 20mm I beleive. They came in silver, blue or grey. From 1975? on ?
Lots of people seem(ed) to like the blue anodised ones which do look very smart. You can pay a hefty premium for those 2mm & the colour........

SSC's

What do you think an immaculate pair of silver SSC's on Record large flange hubs are worth? The skewer levers are straight (1960's ?) and they are built with Sapim db stainless spokes.
The rear is 126mm spacing.
I am not sure if I will use these at all now as my Concorde frame is 130mm so would benefit from a 80's/90's build.
I might put them on eBay with International shipping but maybe its not a good time of year eh?

Classics

Sorry, missed the question....Mavic Classics. My friend had a pair of them and I was quietly envious for years because they had the indestructible ceramic braking surface. I couldn't even think about affording a pair. Now, I reckon they weren't that great. They cracked at one (or more) of the rim eyelets and looked a bit crap after a while.
Oh well.....

I always used to run Vittoria Special Pro's on my timetrail bike and Vittoria Corsa CX on my road bike. Can't beat sprints IMO. (although always clinchers on training bike - usually Continental GPs)

Tubs are definitely the way forward for racing, don't know about touring though :shock: I'm gradually moving to tubs for cross and it's Dugasts all the way (32mm Typhoons) I'm geting a second hand pair of GP4 on Dura Ace 9spd and will probably put some mud tyres (Dugast Rhinos or similar )on them.

Eurostar, you may already know this but the done thing with Dugasts is to put a layer of Bison Rubber or Aquaseal (now known as Aquasure) on the sidewalls to stop the cotton from getting sodden and rotting, this is much easier to do when the tub is on the rim. you'll want to thoroughly pre stretch all ten of your tubs as Dugasts are a bugger to get on the rims and you could end up with a load of glue on the sidewalls.

Vittorias

Just got the Vittoria Evo Corsa CX from Parkers. They are Taiwanese but look OK. Plenty stretching to do with these boys. They probably won't see the light of day until a decent downpour washes all the post-NewYear crap off the roads. I'm looking forward to it. I reckon the Paves are more PRO what with the green and all, but for late 90's stealth (already retro?) these corsas look the biz.
Cheers.
PS: definately going to sell the SSC's on Record hubs. Anybody interested, drop me a PM.

Hey, have a look at this email exchange with Vittoria! Go to their site and join my campaign: black is the new green!

Dear Nick,
thanks for the feedback, we take note.

Best regards

Samuele Bressan
Vittoria & Geax Product Manager

Vittoria S.p.A.
via Papa Giovanni XXIII, 1
24040 Madone (BG) Italy
www.vittoria.com & www.geax.com

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: info@vittoria.it [mailto:info@vittoria.it] Per conto di

Inviato: giovedì 29 novembre 2007 12.50