Before I break something.....

Sprunghub

Dirt Disciple
....I need to take some advice on how to disassemble the front fork assy on my newly arrived Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix.

The bike is the 1960 Mk7, the 'stem' is a GB Hindinium. There is the long 'bolt' from the top of the stem down into the forks, which undoes easily & comes out. I expected it to be a 'quill'......with a 'wedge' on the bottom ? & for the stem to twist free & come out....?

With the bolt 'out' nothing wants to budge....not easily, anyway.

The forks are very nice....quite flexible, & I can see me seriously jiggering ( or re-jigging, more to the point) something, if I'm missing A.N.Other fixing bolt, or a need for long soaking in freeing solution etc., gentle persuasion, or 'heat'.

I haven't undone the 'headset'.....the top / locking ring free's off easily & the next 'ring/nut' down moves, so I don't think anything is amiss there.

obvious to those, in the know, I know......but I don't !

any pointers ?
cheers

Yes, it should just be the one bolt in the top. The stem might be stuck though - it's quite common.

The first thing you can try is to check the wedge isn't holding it. If you undo the bolt a few turns and give it a tap it should free the wedge if it's stuck in place. If it's not that, then the stem itself is probably corroded in place. they can be mighty difficult to get out because aluminium likes to chemically glue itself to steel. I've heard of guys on here having to cut the stem so they can get the fork off the bike, then having to apply enough heat to melt the stub of the stem out. I don't think there is an easy way, but penetrating fluid like WD40 or Plusgas and patient gentle tapping with a small hammer is a good start.

The 'wedge' was stuck....probably not been out since 1960 ! A couple of taps & it 'dropped' & out she came - thanks for the quick response, cheers,
Nigel

No need to fully undo the long bolt at all. Just loosen it 2 or 3 turns and then tap and the wedge should come out with the stem.

Plenty of grease on it when it goes back ;)

And the seatpin.

Oddly, the seat 'pin' wasn't too bad. Remarkably, the 'inner tubes' hold air & whilst the tyres are not want you'd want to go 'touring' on, looking to be around 20 years old, she's actually gone up & down the road a treat this afternoon.

It's a "Bitsa" though.....straight'ish bars, cheapo brakes, Shimano gear levers & rear 'mech', rebuilt wheels .....rear hub is a Sachs Maillard from 1993 & a Midlands Wheel rim & falcon free-wheel, front is a Sturmey Archer hub with a MW rim, so she's obviously been "up-dated" in the '90s. The cable operated Benelux front mech works....& it's got a 5 speed gear instead of the original 4 speed at the back.....& the brake calipers themselves are the GB Sport originals.

Need to decide whether to try to put her 'back' or take her forwards for the sake of the frame & capitalise on the Benelux & GB bit's which remain.

Worth all of the £13 though just for the experience

Back