best tyre for road offroad mix

bolly

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone recommend a good tyre for riding on roads and forest trails with a bit of off roading thrown in. Building up a lava dome and got some interesting rides planned one being forty miles of road/twenty miles of forest roads/ten miles of offroad and a bit of carrying thrown in. Want a tyre that will have some grip for desending off road so no semi slicks. Looking at continental race kings in 2.0 anyone use them and how long do they last on the road. On a budget found these at £15. Anyone got any recommendations?

Got some 2.25 Nobby Nics that aren't folders pretty cheap off ebay and they are grand on and off road. Nowhere near as wide as I was expecting and more like the same width as my Panaracer Fire XCs in a 2.1.

Nobby Nics are great tyres - but not for road use. Way too grippy!

But they do wear well....

Depending how "all-round" you want to go - I think you should be looking more at something like a Conti traffic,Race King or maybe a skinny 1,9 Cross Country.

I find Maxxis Crossmarks excellent tires for mixed use. Nice and fast on the road, and plenty of grip off-road on everything but wet grass and mud.
Ideal for fireroads and singletrack as long as you can avoid anything too slippery.

I've also found Halo Twin Rail tires good for mixed use. Lower the pressure for off road sections, and inflate to 60psi for road work and they fly along.
They are heavy though and can be deadly in mud.
I have ridden with them in the snow though, very carefully mind you.

Schwalbe Smart Sams are also meant to be good for road/off-road use too.

Thanks for the info taking it all in. thinking about 1.9 or 2.0 size need to be good for road due to the distances covered but thinking of hiking up a few hills so will need some grip coming down, wont be decending too fast will just be picking my way down. Looking at southern uplands in scotland and can get halfway up a lot of hills on fire roads. Number one being screel which i am hoping to bag in a couple of weeks.

Personal choice for me would be something like a Maxxis Ignitor or Crossmark up front with a Larson on the back at this time of year. Contis roll well but the casings are made of tissue paper that has been coloured in with felt tip. Just watch that Larson on wet roots though.

An oldie but a goodie... Panaracer Fire Xc pro.
A smmothish centre for the road and PLENTY of grip for offroad.

Thanks for the replies, gone for the race kings for the lava dome cos thats on a budget but going to try some maxxis cross marks on my orange 5. Thinking about a 2.0 how does the size compare to other tyres some are narrower than others

my mate uses 2.0 race kings, size up small good for a retro. same size as my tioga psyco 1.95 on my gt timberline singlespeed, i will be putting on race kings next. contis are thin wallled, but for what you want to use them for should be fine

for your 5 check out kenda small block 8s for summer months. expensive, but really good. winter i use high rollers, roll like glue but loads of grip in the welsh hills!

maxxis tyres are smaller than normal. i would go 2.35 on the 5. kendas are massive, 2.1 would be good. i had 2.3 kenda tomacs on it when new which are bigger than my 2.5 maxxis DH tyres!

Back