the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Yes, the red one is Bike Friday and has 1 and 1/4 (?) ID... Or anyhow some weird measurement. Also you need to split the handlebars in half to use it. The RANS has 1 and 1/8 steering ID and 25.6 handlebars.

It attaches to a quill stem adaptor with a seatpost clamp.

But going back to my original q...

Is a seatpost clamp a good choice x attaching the stem?
Will it be strong enough? maybe two clamps?
I am afraid that it may move left/right....

I understand is not nearly as cool or nice as the Cunningham LD, but it also 20 times cheaper.... And available... Think about it... All your bikes with LD stems... :p

I would have thought the one clamp would be fine. Race face had a stem with a similar(idea) clamp. I'd be interested to know the internal diameter, I have a GT double quill which could work with this :?: either that or it could easyisly be modified with some braze on binders.

kaiser":1f27u2nb said:
I would have thought the one clamp would be fine. Race face had a stem with a similar(idea) clamp. I'd be interested to know the internal diameter, I have a GT double quill which could work with this :?: either that or it could easyisly be modified with some braze on binders.

The stem internal diameter is 1 and 1/8 inches.

You could, theoretically use the GT double quill then on a threaded headset. Just need to tighten from the bottom. Brazing a binder on and tensioning with a USE ring go star would work with ahead!. May try to find out postage on this top the UK :D

If anyone fancies trying drops on the cheap i have an ahead stem with about 30-35 (poss 40, its in the shed and i haven't seen it in a while so cant remember exactly) degrees of rise i can Karma to em :D

MADJEZ":cw02zpu3 said:
Bit late to this one.

NO not cool, not ever !

Looks like an old boy who someone's bought a BSO for insisting he
has drop bars.

+1

Unless you are actually Jonny T and riding your Yeti they are not acceptable. Never, ok?

So just stop it, right now. Or you'll go to bed with no supper.

Lots of good info in this thread, and it's helped make my mind up.... my Stumpy project is getting the drop-bar treatment :D

one question, what's peoples thoughts on the location of shifters? end of the bars? or do the STI ones work just as well?

jimo746":1vjw0umb said:
one question, what's peoples thoughts on the location of shifters? end of the bars? or do the STI ones work just as well?

look into Kelly take offs, WTB multimounts or DKG shifteases

An update to my long running search for drop bar nirvana... the Overbury's build took a couple of years before the penny dropped (no pun intended) - that the frame was inappropriately short and squat (despite the high bottom bracket) for my project/physique... it remained languishing unridden in the cellar.

I then stumbled in a very clean and rather huge Dale frame sans fork and figured that the extra long head tube would give the WTBs a decent height with the few high rise stems available to me. Sure enough, the fit was an instant hit - the confidence to ride it properly was immediate and the traction/power generated through the position has all but negated my justifications for a crossbike this winter. Although I found a matching Pepperami (sic), I was dubious about the fragility/ride quality, so stuck with a Spinner up front, which I'm very happy with. The remaining itch is to try some Kelly Take-Offs I've had knocking about the cellar at some stage.

Celebrity rider EdEdwards had the temerity/honour to blood it whilst I manned the heckling tent decks, post-sunset at Mountain Mayhem this June and, even for such a curmudgeon, described it as 'alright' - praise indeed for one blessed with Tomac-like mad skills...

Larger pictures in my Gallery:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... =x4f4fa121

Attachments

• IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 3,060
Back