BoTM May 2011 'Made In Canada 'eh' - Nominations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started in Burt Lewis's garage in Burnaby, BC as the Northern Bicycle Company in the mid-70's - evolved to Norco.

I have a serious soft spot for them.

speaking of obscure Canadian brands. anyone heard of BRC? I have an old clunky Gonzo frame/fork and looked up the brand and it seems to be from Vancouver as well.

also locally there was a brand line brought in by a shop that's still in business called Silent Sports in north Toronto. their house brand was called Thin Blue Line. i'm assuming the frames commissioned from an asian factory.

RichieB":34qkjt15 said:
Some steel Norco team frames were Canadian made, and every top end Norco was assembled in BC up until a few years ago.

Quite honestly, I think the guidelines this month are making for a REALLY tight bike selection - I mean, if we adhere to the strict letter of the law, we'll end up with Brodies, Dekerfs, a select few Rockies and Procycle bikes. NOT very diverse, by any means.

I suggest we go with 100% Canadian OWNED companies or bikes build in Canada - which yes, still excludes Konas, but loops in Rek Tek, early GT Xizangs (build by Lavoie Titanium)...There is a loophole here, however, that still dis-allows asian RM frames, from the early-late 90's, as Rocky was at least partially owned by a German company until it was sold to Procycle...

Thoughts?

Leave it to John, last month had to be made in USA so made in Canada frame would already include 'Toads, RekTeck they don't need looping in. Only stipulation is the frame has to be made in Canada, nothing about a Canadian company, so the Xixang is already included as well (did not know that btw).

Hopefully the title should be reasonably self explanatory but we're looking for bikes made in the Canada. Certainly frame needs to be made in Canada, the more components the better. Won't accept bikes/frames made by Canadian manufacturers produced in the Far East or elsewhere.

off course there may need to be proof frames where not made in Canada, not just hearsay/assumption.

RockiMtn":1j1icmxp said:
speaking of obscure Canadian brands. anyone heard of BRC? I have an old clunky Gonzo frame/fork and looked up the brand and it seems to be from Vancouver as well.

also locally there was a brand line brought in by a shop that's still in business called Silent Sports in north Toronto. their house brand was called Thin Blue Line. i'm assuming the frames commissioned from an asian factory.

IIRC Thin Blue Line frames were welded overseas, then painted in Canada, maybe some braze-ons too. As usual it was just enough to be considered Canadian made.

When I started racing they were everywhere. The bikes were great value, and they had a good local race team.

Has True North been in business long enough to be considered vintage?

Baulz":1j4r72jr said:

Damn, I forgot about Hugh. I remember seeing his Aermet 100 frame back in 97-ish at the show, so they would be retro.

didnt hugh start the firm around 93, i saw them in 95 i think??

FMJ":2qdym5k9 said:
Baulz":2qdym5k9 said:

Damn, I forgot about Hugh. I remember seeing his Aermet 100 frame back in 97-ish at the show, so they would be retro.

I remember that now. Think they are a pretty local company, how many of their frames have made it outside Ontario? I doubt many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back