Tyre blow out

milko

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Bit of a scare this morning on the way too work. I have been using my 2010 boardman mtb pro to commute to work on since my commuter bike (and I) got wiped out by a car. To make things a little easier I had fitted shwalbe kojak tyres and had been massivly impressed. They cornered well and the low rolling resistance was a dream. I have had them for about 4 weeks so they were in good nick. This morning I was belting down the hill on the way to work when without warning the tyre jumped the rim, the tube wrapped around the cassette and locked up the back wheel (i was doing 30 when it happened so it was quite a shock) I had checked the pressures before setting off and they were good and there was on evidence of a puncture in the tube (apart from the ones made by the cassette). Any ideas? The rim looks to be a mess do I write to the manufacturer?

Pressure too high perhaps?

Sounds very nasty btw.. bloody lucky you didn't come off. My speedo indicates 40mph on one VERY steep hill near me. (I suspect my speedo is out though lol), and would definately brick myself if that happened to me.

Scougar":1o3f5l8d said:
Pressure too high perhaps?

Sounds very nasty btw.. bloody lucky you didn't come off. My speedo indicates 40mph on one VERY steep hill near me. (I suspect my speedo is out though lol), and would definately brick myself if that happened to me.

forder valley?

yeah does sound a bit nuts!
it could have been that the tyre wasnt seated properly :? did you do the tyres yourself?

i cant see any other reason for the tyre to come off unless it wasnt seated correctly
an easy mistake to make but often overlooked as ive done the same
normally you notice it when you tyre 'feels' buckled
erm but it could be that it was only slight :?

The hill going down between Shaugh Prior to Shaugh Bridge.

Certainly not gonna fill you with confidence, especially if you've been running it that way for several weeks already without issue. I've only started doing bike stuff so can't really help you here, I've more a car mechanical background really.

oh that hill
only 40?!
i got 54 down forder valley once and id say shaugh prior hill is bigger than that :D <thats what your face is like at the end, permanently!

Well, I think it read 44mph, but I don't think I have it set correctly as Sporty Pal barely registers 30mph when I look at the logs? But anyway... I'd wet myself doing 54mph I reckon!

Maybe the inner tube balloned and caused the tyre to lift? I'd still say either over inflatted or as you say, not seated correctly.

Yeh as I said I had been riding on it for a couple of weeks no bother but guess you never know. Rim is not as badly damaged as I first thought it could have been although the mech was uncomfortably tangled up. What do you reckon new rim or just sand out the scrapes?

DSC01556.jpg

id just sand it off carefully
unless you can afford new rims - of course we all would if we could afford it :LOL:

Back