BoTM May 2011 'Made In Canada 'eh' - Nominations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
1993 Norco TNT

This is Serial #001 - the first produced - that I acquired from the head of Norco's bike division back in 2006. I raced pro XC for Norco in 1993, and this is the bike I rode that year, but had to sell mine to pay tuition.

I'd been in search of this frame ever since I was forced to sell my original, and I think that the bike's pedigree, and my history with the model makes it close to my heart - and it rides awesome!

I kept the original finish and decals to accentuate that it was really ridden, and the Tange Prestige Ultimate Ultralight/Ultrastong frame has stood up to BC trails, bot technical and XC for 2 decades! Sort of a Rat Rod build with some SRP details for personality, and Manitou 3 fork with an Arlo Englund oil damper kit and Speed Springs to keep it totally trail-worthy and ridable.

5723276119_f00338ab68_b.jpg

5723833228_b943ffcc84_b.jpg

[Edit - didn't know about the 2 pic limit - fixed. More images ]http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1124389#1124389 here.

I know someone else who has a Norco TNT team bike (he used to be head of sales for Shimano in Ontario), I asked him if he'd ever sell it and he said no and told me and the other wrenches at the store I worked at to not even look at it any more. It's not a brand that's very well known outside Canada, but adds variety to the usual RM, Brodie, DeKerf mix.

FC - your Fusion, lovely as it is, will probably be excluded by the somewhat draconian BotM rules this week, same reason I can't enter my 1990 Blizzard, my 1987 Hammer or my 1986 RM Ritchey 'Canapurna', and RockiMtn can't enter a couple of his very nice RMs.

:x

mechagouki":3ng3w8v8 said:
FC - your Fusion, lovely as it is, will probably be excluded by the somewhat draconian BotM rules this week, same reason I can't enter my 1990 Blizzard, my 1987 Hammer or my 1986 RM Ritchey 'Canapurna', and RockiMtn can't enter a couple of his very nice RMs.

I even mention as such in my post just above it :LOL:
... the other option is the dekerf made 1991 Altitude, but we already have the year later model (non dekerf built afaik) on show with less modern parts fitted.

Though I think your blizzard may be eligible, Hammers as far as I know are not as they have Ixxxx serial. Blizzards are RMBxxxx or similar and I take the R to be in house (or at least in house farmed to local builders)

wtb_rider":3s7qxlkw said:
love the hei hei,
can you tell me frame and ridersize, please?
thanks alot
cheers kay

I'm 160cm tall and the frame size is 16". But the 16" is desgned like a 14" ;)

mfh126":3s7qxlkw said:
Kona is 50% US, 50% Canadian, but since the frame was made in the USA, it doesn't qualify this month. :( I generally don't like Konas, but that's a classy build.

Thanks for that information I didn't know ;)

Some steel Norco team frames were Canadian made, and every top end Norco was assembled in BC up until a few years ago.

Quite honestly, I think the guidelines this month are making for a REALLY tight bike selection - I mean, if we adhere to the strict letter of the law, we'll end up with Brodies, Dekerfs, a select few Rockies and Procycle bikes. NOT very diverse, by any means.

I suggest we go with 100% Canadian OWNED companies or bikes build in Canada - which yes, still excludes Konas, but loops in Rek Tek, early GT Xizangs (build by Lavoie Titanium)...There is a loophole here, however, that still dis-allows asian RM frames, from the early-late 90's, as Rocky was at least partially owned by a German company until it was sold to Procycle...

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back