Harry Quinn

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
just visited my local tip and spotted a beautiful 70's Harry Quinn just needing new wheels but new Regs.(stupidity) meant that it was crushed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and not given away, christ where is the country headed when you can't even re-cycle something quickly, easily and preserving a true british bike..

It's madness isn't it? I guess they can't be bothered to administer a system where you sign a disclaimer form letting them off any responsibility if you hurt yourself with the junk you've picked up.

I'd happily pay a small fee to take away some of the stuff I see at my local tip.

Mark.

we used to pay a small fee but from now on it's camera'd up number plate monitoring, f**king ridiculous and threat of sackings for staff. i do think the uk government don't regulate the banks but screw the little guys.

NNNNNooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I suppose there's recycling and there's recycling.

First is where an item is thrown away, even if it's perfectly usable, and gets scraped for its raw material. Eg, glass bottles, newspapers. This is better than just burying stuff in the ground.

But there's also where you re-use things, and keep them going with maintenance and repair. If someone has no use for a particular item, then it gets passed on to someone who can use it.

The term 'recycling' is just a con and i'm sick of the miss-use of the word.

Real recycling involves re-use of a perfectly serviceable item. nothing wasted in remanufacturing and costly processes recovering materials to make something else. That all seems to get swept under the carpet these days.

I am very lucky in the fact that my local tip is private and contracted to the local council. rules are there but money talks.

and, as an aside, so what if your number plate is read, what can they do? Prosecute you for what exactly?

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, cheese.... My local tip still have totters rights, but they have just been bought out, so I expect it to change soon.... Luckily, they are my mates and doughnuts, hot chocolate, beer, as well as money are good to trade with.....
Real recycling is using the perfectly serviceable things that people with more money than sense throw away...... Probably only you, big cheese, would understand when I say that you wouldn't believe the things I've had out of my centre....... One day I might tell everyone ;0)

the number plate is to see how often certain vehicles are using tip and if they're a business user..so they can charge

I still get allsorts from both the tips near here, but one up in hexham is stupid, was an interesting folding town bike,looked brand new,asked to buy it but not a chance. i think half the time its an excuse so the people who work there can take stuff themselves.

Back