powdercoating a king headset??

sausagefingers

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
has anyone tried to powdercoat a chris king headset?
i have an old one but it's not going to go with my new colour scheme (what a tart :D ) so was considering asking the powdercoater to do the headset to match.but will it affect the sealed bearings as i'm fairly sure they have to dry the paint by baking it on in an oven?
cheers

hmm king headsets are ano no?
so the paint would need taking back a bit if the bearings were to fit properly

also, it would kind of need 'facing' again

see if you can swap it, there is an official king swap thread around here somewhere ;)

while im far from the authority on biking rights and wrongs

id go for a no :(

dont you like ano?!
did you find said swap thread?

It's a bit rough looking so was hoping to freshen it up a bit,didn't think anyone would want a swap as its rough looking but still works and is silky smooth

i guess it would depend on the swapper :?
if you wanted it silver and its not currently

caustic soda takes off ano i believe

Anything is possible but given you would have to mask the contact patch for the bearing and the contact patch with the frame t would seem unlikely that smooth finish would result.

If the finish is lloking really scrappy then why not mask the areas yourself and spray the parts of the cups that would be visible.

It would be much easier and quicker plus reversible if it goes wrong.

hmm, anodising doesn't conduct current, so depending on the powdercoating method you may have issues there. Also depending on the sealing method of the anodising, paint has trouble sticking - not sure if this would be an issue with powdercoating though.

Back