RIH Mistral

silentsparky

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I've been pointed here from STW.

I've Just brought myself a RIH Mistral to restore, its actually in ok condition other than the rear wheel. I'm wondering whether to buy a new wheel or get the old ones rebuilt (multiple missing spokes) but 105 hubs.

However I'm unsure on compatibility, would a modern cassette run with the current r.mech/chain/shifters & cranks? or if I get the wheel rebuilt what cassette would I need? any pointers would be greatfully received.

Oh and was it a good deal @ £77? ;)

On your 1st Q: depends on how damaged it is and you are good at DIY.

On Q #2: I have not much knowledge on modern stuff, but I would think it depends on what kind of freehub it is and what spacing it uses.

Concerning 3rd Q: it doesn't sound like you overspent on the RIH, unless the cassette and wheel repair is going to set you back a couple hundreds ;) Not so likely I would think.

The RIH Mistral is a bike by RIH Covee of Limburg, The Netherlands. Dutch RIHs were made in Amsterdam (the originals), Groningen (small series by Fongers) and Venlo, Limburg (acquired the rights on the name in the early 70s). Amsterdam RIH is still crafting fine frames, but is renamed RIH-Sport nowadays. Sadly it is unsure whether they will be allowed to use the name in future.

To confuse matters even more: there also exist an Austrian Rih

Thanks for the background info on the manufacturer.

The rear wheel just appears to need some missing spokes replacing, I could probably tackle those. Its what type of Cassette that I would need that concerns me.

The kit on the bike all appears to be 1984 Shimano 105, I would post a picture but I'm not at the magic 5 posts yet :cool:

1984 sounds like UG era. In that case a modern cassette won't work. Get up a pic :)

Pics:

Bike
rih01.jpg

Rear wheel:
rih05.jpg

You need a screw on cassette. Probably six speed. Possibly SJS Cycles have them or maybe Mario De Fietsenmaker in NL.

Back