What single speed crank for use with Rohloff?

Thanks for all the hints. These are to use with a Rohloff though rather than just SS so still single speed but probably bigger than a 32t chainring.

Keep them coming, I'm still listening...

XTR 960 ones are awesome.
As above, there is a set in the 98> FS section now £55 :shock: i'd say that was a bargain ;)
Oh but you want new ones :roll:

I think you hinted at it above but you need to check the minimum size of the chainring that you can use with the Rohloff. 32T is too small as it creates too much torque. From memory I think that the smallest recommended size is 38T.

Are there any single ring external bb cranks other than the Middleburn RS8X and the surly one does anyone know?

I have Middleburn RS 7s on my bikes with uno rings and they work well and look great and I am well lardy and they havent snapped yet :)

rody":117j4vnx said:
I personally like these, but I am biased :D

http://groovycycleworks.com/HotRodCranks.aspx

FWIW, the blue set is a Rohloff chainline crank and is available with either 4 or 5 bolt spider. If you decide you want it, I'll send John a donation for facilitating the purchase by hosting the site we all love.

cheers,

rody

Those look smashing! Let me re-visit my budget. Do you do them in 170mm? I'm weak and puny and don't have the necessary brute force to grind away on long cranks, I prefer spinning away on shorter ones.

You would need a looong bottom bracket axle if you used the Middleburn Uno (same applies to White Ind Eno) - it has the wrong chainline for a Rohloff (54.5 iirc), which if you look has the sprocket much further out on the axle compared to middle cassette positon of a ss. I've looked into this, a standard crank and use just the middle ring. I think a modern Middleburn square taper with a four bolt xc spider, and a Thorn reversable 38 chainring would/will be my ultimate choice.

You won't need bigger than a 38 off road, especially with a big wheeler..

Happy hunting!

i believe in fixies":sp2eqs8y said:
Thanks for all the hints. These are to use with a Rohloff though rather than just SS so still single speed but probably bigger than a 32t chainring.

Keep them coming, I'm still listening...

middleburn do 32 34 and 36 uno rings as i understand

stubbsy :D

Back