96 Kona Lava Dome - current pic on page 3!

well, the curves are on my 113.... chainline looks "ok". shifting wont be a problem - i'm using thumbies

that tooolbox has a few of my bits in it. i did an inventory the other day, and i'm about 5 parts away from another complete bike's worth.... which can only mean one thing!

how she looks now

Attachments

• 27112007.jpg
    27112007.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,159
It looks good to me. I'd keep the black stem, but I note that it's absent, so beginning to suspect that you may have a yen for a blue one? Blue stem and blue grips may possibly need to be sampled in private before going public - but my Kilauea has yellow decals, yellow stem and yellow Ules (set against the sober colour of a ti bar) and I think it works ok.

I think some people go for too many colours, but you're already mixing black and silver successfully, and aside from that you're just picking up the colour of the decals in various places and successfully avoiding repeating the colour of the frame. Pretty much a classic Lava Dome really IMHO.

i was going to go silver stem to match the bars and post.... i like that unified cockpit look

damn these curve cranks and their rep for being made of cheese (rightly deserved as it is)

i took the spider off today to fit the top two rings properly, and when bolting it back on, i must've pushed one of the bolts too far in. net result is a small bulge just to the non-arm side of the crank bolt. NOS when i got em, look like they've had a good life of use, without ever having been ridden. i may never ride them - but they do look so nice.

annoyed at myself, but it's proper retro-cce. i could mangle anything with an allen key back in the day!

near-final. just need some chainring bolts, bottle bolts, cable clippers and to put the chain back on and she's done

i much prefer the silver stem look.

Attachments

• PB270016.jpg
    PB270016.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,050
Colour

U need a silver mech and hubs then too. I love all Black parts, but U need a pale coloured frame to contrast with the Black. I think dark frames match silver or pale ano bits. The trouble with Black though it shows the chips!

just hacked around my car park until my (bare) hands went numb

i've always loved this bike.... but now.... it's perfect. dangly cables and missing bolts and no granny ring and all, it's perfect

i finally found the right stem length!

so, in conclusion - tempted to fit a wrong-length stem because it looks good? dont!

she needs new tyres. i've always loved the look of rustwall IRC mythos, but not sure they'd work on here. any thoughts?

Back