1992 GT Tequesta - wreck rescue!

Rob Atkin":tk3slyat said:
Woo-hoo - got a Zefal bottle cage, NOS and 20yrs old in packet!!
c88200dc.jpg

Could you let me know where you got this from please if you don't mind? I have an exact same (but white) one on my tequesta and would like either another white (mine is very grubby now) or black like yours.

TIA

I had a long running search for any item with the word "Zefal" in on eBay. I was searching worldwide but eventually this one came up from a bike shop in the south of England somewhere. I sniped it at £25 to make sure NO-ONE else could get it!
Seem to be quite rare but not sure why. Excellent cages and long lasting too. Maybe they just never sold many BITD.

cool bike man. I especially like the saddle.

did you say you had the exact same bike once?..or this is the actual bike you had?

This isn't my actual bike I had in 1992. Unfortunately that was stolen. However it was too big for me anyway at 18" - I need a 16" like this new one.
Apart from a couple of aesthetic changes and the omission of the Shocktech forks (which I did get hold of again but they really aren't suitable) it will be a replica of the 1992 bike.
But a lot more shiny. :)

IT IS FINISHED!!!!

I've just been around the block on it. I was expecting my first retro bike to be heavy and slow with crap handling, rubbish brakes and naff gears.

BUT.....

This thing is like a rocket!! Accelerates like it's been spanked, handles great. Gears are way better than I expected and best of all, the brakes are AMAZING!! I don't know if it's the Scott Matthauser blocks or the levers or canti's themselves but they are so sharp and well controlled.
Simply amazing.

Youll have to wait for pics which I'll put on another thread. It's looks stunning and I think most will agree as well. Deserves some special pics I think - maybe pic of the month standard??

Thanks all.
Rob.

oh stop fannying about and get the pics up

do your s/m pads howl ,mine do , just like the old days :LOL:

looks nice , what iv'e seen of it anyway

Right I need to make a rallying call!!

I've just seen some of the uber-bling that has been posted up for BOTM for June. There is some very nice bikes in there, I will have to admit!

BUT this bike has been the product of a lot of blood, sweat and tears. I suppose the story around it is a bit soppy but it's all true. This bike is a dream for me and I will never ever sell it.

I didn't have loads of cash to spend, in fact I had very little. I think I only spent around £100-150 at the most. Nearly all of the work has gone into carefully handpainting the frame and decals, hours and hours of polishing. the thumbshifters themselves were mega cheap and ruined, I stripped tham back, polished and repainted them. Same with the brake levers, cranks, mechs etc etc.

This isn't a bike that has been made with lots of industry contacts, team special parts and a barrel full of cash. It isn't a NOS special, never to be ridden (If you won't ride it, it's not a bike to me, that is really sad that some are kept as garage queens). As soon as I can it'll be chucked off some dropoffs in the Peaks...

So if you like good hard work, a great memory relived, and the joy of seeing a mid-range bike beat the bling machines, vote for my bike!!

And I am sorry I haven't taken a pic with the bottle cage on, I'll do it as soon as I can.

Thanks
Rob

Back