GT Aggressor build for a work colleague

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just finished this and thought I'd post some pics up.

A bloke I work with wanted a bike built for his missus. He has quite a nice Rocky Mountain and wanted something reasonable for his good lady so they could go cycling together.

He mentioned this to me and asked if I could build something for her rather than buy something off the shelf. I happened to have just bought a GT Aggressor frame that I wasn't too sure what to do with, and this would form the basis for the build. My only guidelines was that she'd like it a dark colour.

I bought the frame from RB and it had been stripped of it's paint but not polished. This was then dropped off with my local powdercoater's and finished in a Black metallic (same as the '92 Stumpy I had a bit back).

I was lucky enough to have stripped a few of my mates bikes for parts recently, so had plenty of components to choose from. Only problem was trying to keep on budget.

Most of the parts on the bike are actually brand new, as my mates had upgraded bikes from new and shelved the original components. Only used parts are the Hayes brakes, Specialized saddle, SRAM X9 rear mech and SRAM X7 shifters.

Pics:

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

Had some fun with the brakes. Got them at a reasonable price, but ended up buying new pads front and rear and then had to bleed them. Only realised after trying to bleed them that Hayes bleed the opposite way to normal (caliper to lever)!

Headset was a bit of a pain too. Thought I'd received a complete headset with the frame, only to realise it was missing part of the top. Panicked a bit as the GT's have an odd size internal headset (50mm O/D), but Halfords came up trumps with an FSA unit in stock.

Tried to find pictures of frame when I bought it but can't seem to find them on RB or my PC.

Will present the bike to my work mate on Monday. Hope he (and his missus) like it :)

Clive Hasley in Whitehaven (01946 66202). It's the second frame he's done for me now and been great both times. Cost £50 + vat (£60 total). He also does car alloy wheels, motor bike frames etc too.

EarlofBarnet":1azbcke6 said:

Clive Hasley in Whitehaven (01946 66202). It's the second frame he's done for me now and been great both times. Cost £50 + vat (£60 total). He also does car alloy wheels, motor bike frames etc too.

Great thank you very much. Gives me something to do next time I am on a family visit. :D

Back