Gazelle Champion Mondial in Amstel Beer Red

i'm SO envious!!! what a chance to get to ride alongside a legend like phil - and to hear that he's actually a nice guy too! you just don't expect it when you consider his amazing career. i can't believe that photo - he hasn't changed A BIT!!

i would have loved to meet Hinault and ride alongside him but i bet even though well into his 50s, Hinault would probably STILL want to rip the legs off of everyone else!! lol
a pal of mine rode with sean kelly recently here in scotland - he said his legs were still awesome and the man himself couldn't have been nicer to blether to.

aye they don't make them like they used to!
or frames either for that matter - i remember when gazelles were hot in the 80s, the 531c frame of yours sold for around the same price as a good quality handbuilt 753!!

thanks for that information - i'm glad you had a great time with Skippy!

rusty :)

Got some more time today so disassembled and cleaned up the crank and chainrings.

Before:
P1030712.JPG

After:
P1030812.JPG

Also gave the hoods another clean with a toothbrush and shampoo as recommended, and they do look a bit whiter now.

P1030813.JPG

P1030814.JPG

More clean than that you won't get your stuff :)

You plan polishing the cranks?

That is beautiful - I love that colour of red.

And the headset - I remember those from when I worked at Madison in the late 80s. I've got an original set of the headset spanners in my shed if you want them?

Rob

Elev12k":2zx7jgme said:
You plan polishing the cranks?
I wasn't sure how to best polish them, or what to use? So far I have just been getting rid of the dirt and grease and giving the parts a good wipe. What do people use to polish cranks and other parts?

robnblues":1wxtzsxb said:
And the headset - I remember those from when I worked at Madison in the late 80s. I've got an original set of the headset spanners in my shed if you want them?
Rob

I didn't realise there were special tools for them! Are they to tighten the top nut thingy?

You can use a polishing compound for metals and a polishing cloth for metals as shown below. Probably you will have other makes where you live, but I would think your DIY shop should have equivilents.

Left pic shows 3 products, but they do the same.

5715150657_cf7f58232e.jpg
5715715886_b3ee79e993.jpg

You can polish the cranks up to mirror shine. The anodising will be gone however.

Thanks for the polishing info. I have seen Brasso in hardware shops here. So the cranks are silver anodised on the outside? Any issues with polishing this off?

Still chasing a few parts and sourced a bike with complete Shimano 600 6207 series groupset (including hubs, pedals and bottom bracket) which will be used as a 'donor' bike :) Not sure whether I should use the cup and cone bottom bracket from that bike (which looks and feels to be in good condition) or put in a new UN54? I don't have the tools for either, so will be purchasing them based upon which way I go.

To get the cranks and bottom bracket off the 'donor' bike and onto the Gazelle is it correct that I will need a crank puller, lockring spanner and an adjustable cup spanner? Anything else?

Back