80's Raleigh Record Ace

Its difficult to advise on restoration of paintwork, as it needs to match to look right, I either accept as they are, or put in for re-spray which affects the value significantly, as an expensive job.

Values vary just last week I saw a ladies Raleigh Clubman on ebay sell at £285 not the best example ever, the model below the Record Ace but for some reason they pull good £ at present.

Its difficult to place a value without seeing a bike, the popular sizes tend to attract best prices, some nasty looking stuff has been around £50, reasonable examples, ie some none original parts, well used but usable around £80 and good quality models around £150.

There was earlier this year a 22.5 restored frame that sold for £199 and currently a reasonable 25" on ebay advertised at same price, whilst there is a poor 21" currently struggling, my advice would be if your planning to sell it, give it nothing more than a clean and service as best you are able yourself, if a bike gives you pleasure then maintain it accordingly to ensure it continues to provide pleasure.

Thanks for the advice.
I am torn...it is without doubt the most enjoyable bike i have ever owned. Not as quick as the subsequent carbon fibre triathlon bike, nor as dynamic as my (almost as old) British Eagle Boss mountain bike, but all-round it has never been bettered. The problem is the kids now each have their own "adult" bikes....so that makes a grand total 8 bikes in the family!!

Having found this website i might keep the bike just to put a smile on my face!

If the rust is just a little around the lugs, then when cleanining the frame use WD40, I spray it on lightly and wipe off, also inject some through the holes to release gas when the frame is brazed during assembly.

If you sell it and regret it, it will not be easy to replace, I love the way they ride too, not the fastest, but swift, comfortable and practical, they dont shout to the world I'm a Raleigh like some kind of 2 wheeled free advertisment, hanbuilt by craftsmen, it has such subtle elegance, people come to see what it is, it has something special that a modern carbon or aluminium bike can never have.

I am sure if you look out on ebay you will find a pair of Weinmann drilled levers, mudguards are often missing on these bikes, and difficult to replace with originals now.

Thanks for this.
The original mudguards are still on her. I don't think i have every taken them off - no need really. Triathlon in 1990 was still in its infancy - other than the pro's, you just used to turn up with whatever bike you rode every other day of the week. "Hairnets" were still derigeur for head protection too!

Old headgear for cyclists wasnt very flattering, I started racing in the days when a road race looked like the patients from the local assylum had stolen a truck load of bikes and decided to make a frantic escape.

It sounds to me like you should look after that bike

Blast from the past here! I've decided now that the winter's upon us, it's probably the best time to git the old girl tidied up a bit. I've stripped it right back and it'll hopefully be going off to somewhere like Bob Jacksons in the next week or so. I'm not going for a resto of the original colours, I'm aiming for the panasonic colours from 84 onwards. I've gone and splurged on a new bottom bracket and headset as the original were still fitted and I thought she deserved a bit of love.
The actual bottom bracket, a tange, was still as smooth as could be but the headset was getting notchy. A quick stripdown revealed a series of dimples all along the bottom race, which'd explain what was going on there. I was contemplating shimano but then I thought that as the tange stuff had lasted so well, plus would probably have been the brand that was fitted originally on lots of the raleigh range, I went with them.

403217_10150469383705826_661370825_9152421_1867904419_n.jpg

Mega-dented headset race, no wonder it was a bit notchy!

394495_10150469384480826_661370825_9152429_894567545_n.jpg

General rustiness on the frame, this is the primary reason for the full strip down, get her looking good again.

401670_10150469383850826_661370825_9152422_1057454506_n.jpg

Anybody know where I can get some tiny weeny rivets to put this badge back once it's all sorted?

you could borrow mine if we were closer?

ask a neighbor, ask a friend? its a more common item than you think, someone you know may already have one?
hardware stores carry them for a decent price too.

I've got a rivet gun, it's getting such small rivets that's the issue, the heads on them are about 2mm wide! To give you an idea of what they're like, this is it fitted:

404284_10150469383555826_661370825_9152418_537278992_n.jpg

Back