What single speed crank for use with Rohloff?

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello,

As per the title. What new single speed cranks do folks recommend for use with a Rohloff hub? I'm not after anything flashy or ultra light and fragile. I'm a bit put off Middleburn by all the cracked old ones I've seen. Need something to last, like the old Shimano XT M730.

Cheerio.

Nothing wrong with modern Middleburn, pretty much default choice for many, particularly with the neat Uno ring.
I like WI Eno too

Middleburn RS7 or RS8 or else any 94mm BCD crankset that you fancy, 94mm because you'll probably want to use a 32T chainring.
Square taper Middleburns/ SKF 600 series BB is as good as you get IMHO.
Shimano HT2 cranks can be got for not much money and, especially if you want to use an EBB conversion (Forward Components or Excentriker), are a good choice too. Get some roughish ones ('cos they'll be cheaper), cut off the granny ring mounting bosses and get the polishing gear out.......

Of course, if you have a frame with an EBB, track ends or sliding dropouts then you are free to use any crankset you want but either of the EBB conversions needs an HT2 type crankset.

Attachments

• Cranks.jpg
    Cranks.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,056
  • Hummingbird-05.jpg
    Hummingbird-05.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,056
Big strong DH ones if you are anywhere near the Clydesdale side of the scales. I broke some Middleburn ones when giving it the full beans going up a short steep hill.

REKIBorter":2utqjoyi said:
Big strong DH ones if you are anywhere near the Clydesdale side of the scales. I broke some Middleburn ones when giving it the full beans going up a short steep hill.

Were these RS7/8 (ie forged) or older CNC versions?
Just curious.

Shimano XTR M960's, cut and polish. There was a set for £60 in the sale thread earlier. Light and very stiff.

i have 2 sets of middleburn,

they are very well made and would recomend them to anyone, they are also british, and if you decide that single speeding isnt for you convert them to a double chainset.

stubbsy :D

Some good ones mentioned here that I like, e.g. the UNO and ENO. But high on my personal list are a set of CNC'd Raceface Turbines, they work very well and mine are 180mm length too.

On this board XTR 950's have a loyal following and I have a set in 180mm with a 5-arm CD spider. Waiting for inspiration and the right project, the idea is to polish them and then fit a 1x8-9or10 set-up.The modified XTR 960 looks Ace BTW.

I am a bit of a Clydesdale, and I have had (and solved) creaking issues with all BB types. Recently I have converted the SS 29er with ENO's to a light solid axle with cups and sealed bearings. And you know what, I like it a lot, so that's progress for you.

Enjoy!!

Back