Best way to teach your kids to ride?

The Ken":3ud9ysu2 said:
Our 2 eldest learnt to ride at campsites on holiday with their riding friends encouraging them, they were both over 6 and started on stabilisers.

We went the balance bike route with our youngest (age 2-1/2) and he started cycing 2 wheels at 4. He now has an islabike Beinn 20 (small) which he flies along on - even changes gears and stands up to grind up hill :cool:

a 4 yr old grinding up hills. you've got to share that vid.

my son did (much) smaller versions of that stuff on his wooden bike I ended up having to reinforce it.

Jackson does stuff i wouldn't do on my bike, but I doubt he'll be able to have children like I did, I hope he still has nappies for padding.

My two eldest ride Islabikes, when I pass them on to my 18 month old they will still work! and when they have finished with them they sell well :cool:

5543711593_deb0c76573_z.jpg
5210840837_222904b718_z.jpg

Another vote for Islabikes. My son has now outgrown his and moved up to 24" wheels. His twin sister is still wobbly but is getting there.

If you have to hold the sprog as they ride for a little extra support, make sure that you do just that. Steady the child, not the bike. That way they begin to feel the balance point for themselves.

Back