1x10 Build

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bear with me...not sure this is going to happen...but it is appealing to me.
Hanging in the cave......
One Dean Colonel frame
Dean Ti seat-post
Pauls chain keeper
Great Dura Ace 7800 10 speed rear mech
Brand new 10 speed Ultegra cassette 11/25
Brand new DA 7900 10 speed chain
TB Project Two forks (which are threaded and I would have to cut down and use headset style...which I am loath to do)
Phil Wood BB
..........the start of an interesting build ?

Will something like modern Pro2 hubs take a 10 speed block?

Would I need modern 10 speed chain-ring?

Shifter suggestions?

Do you care? :LOL:

Sounds good to me!

You'll most probably need to run a 10 spd chainring, I haven't (yet) heard of anyone using a 9 spd chainring with a 10 spd set up, but I've not really looked into it that much to know 100%

If you use a Shimano 10spd MTB rear mech you'll have to use the MTB shifters

If you go with a 10spd road mech you'll have to use the road bike flat bar shifters

They both use a different cable pull IIRC

I have heard that you can use a 9 spd MTB rear mech with 10 spd road flat bar shifters/10 spd cassette and it supposedly works, no experience of that myself though

Yeh, just read that a 9 speed front ring will be fine with the single front set-up.
I'll look at shifters..ideally a pauls conversion using road thumbie...but 10 speed available :?

maybe slx?
you could alwaystrade the forks for the ones you want? :?

sounds interesting!

Harryburgundy":3ml8jv3g said:
I'll look at shifters..ideally a pauls conversion using road thumbie...but 10 speed available :?

Course they are - just not used.... And only in Dura-Ace so pricy.

Personally don't see the point of 1X systems as you still need a device to stop the chain falling off when it's most bent.... and such devices weigh more than a front mech and granny. Add a bashguard and you might aswell have a 2 or 3 ring system

dbmtb":ivn4w21m said:
Harryburgundy":ivn4w21m said:

Course they are - just not used.... And only in Dura-Ace so pricy.

Personally don't see the point of 1X systems as you still need a device to stop the chain falling off when it's most bent.... and such devices weigh more than a front mech and granny. Add a bashguard and you might aswell have a 2 or 3 ring system

Quite a few people ride 1xsomething with no device and no worries...obviously not downhilly types...also the Pauls keeper ain't exactly heavy

Redundant comment now but I have had good success with using one of these:

mount2.jpg

Not lost a chain despite not using a bash ring, a chain that is 4 links too long and a long cage rear mech.

£9 and naff all weight :cool:

letmetalktomark":3n4jmrmo said:
Redundant comment now but I have had good success with using one of these:

mount2.jpg

Not lost a chain despite not using a bash ring, a chain that is 4 links too long and a long cage rear mech.

£9 and naff all weight :cool:

I've got one of these spare in my tool box if you decide to run a 1 x 10. A lot less than £9 too.

Back