Stumpjumper M2 build up

Very nice. I have a '98 M2/P2's which I'm still tinkering with.

Out of interest, what's the motorbike you have in the garage there? I have a 1250 Bandit that I don't get out on as much as I really should.

Matt.

Konaglider":21nacob1 said:
Out of interest, what's the motorbike you have in the garage there? I have a 1250 Bandit that I don't get out on as much as I really should.

The black one's my KTM 990 Adventure, the other one's somebody else's 600 Hornet. It hasn't been out of the garage for a while now, mainly because of the crappy weather. :(

Stumpy

That looks really nice, excellent job with the build.
Looks like it will be a great ride.
Cheers
jamie

Looks fab, perhaps stick some alu forks on though? chunkier p-bone type fork colour matched?

I bet its rapid

re:

I had a 420mm fork on my stumpie to, to be honest I have been thinking about that. 420 is supposed to replace an 80mm´s fork which has around 445mm AC and is supposed to have around 10% SAG.

But if you don´t like riding with a lot of sag wouldn´t it be better to have a rigid fork that is corrected for a 100mm´s fork. they tend to have a AC measurement of 450mm maximum, shouldn´t that be better? then the bikes angles would be excactly the same as with an 80mm´s suspensionfork on lockout for example?

the problem I had wih my XTC composite which was attended for a 80mm´s fork was that the front end got a bit low and I shifted to much weight on the frontwheel and got a bit to nervy.

I might be out and about on this, but I have just been thinking about it. The Specialized is inspiring, still can´t believe my own stupidity when I gave my S-works frame away...

Re: re:

captain8track":1io1py7q said:
I had a 420mm fork on my stumpie to, to be honest I have been thinking about that. 420 is supposed to replace an 80mm´s fork which has around 445mm AC and is supposed to have around 10% SAG.

10% sag is a bit on the stiff side for suspension setup, unless you want a nearly rigid ride with with just enough bounce to take the edge off the big hits. I've set up my full-suss with 25% sag front and rear, which is about right to get the full travel on really big hits, without too much bouncing around.
I'm not too worried about getting the geometry exactly right - I mainly plan on using the bike on cycle paths for a bit of evening training, rather than serious off road use.

Re: re:

MarkLG":2b5grv2g said:
captain8track":2b5grv2g said:

10% sag is a bit on the stiff side for suspension setup, unless you want a nearly rigid ride with with just enough bounce to take the edge off the big hits. I've set up my full-suss with 25% sag front and rear, which is about right to get the full travel on really big hits, without too much bouncing around.
I'm not too worried about getting the geometry exactly right - I mainly plan on using the bike on cycle paths for a bit of evening training, rather than serious off road use.

I was just talking in generally here, I haven't got used to riding with sag acctually, on a dh/am setting it would probarly be ok, but even on my fs I would say I have max 10% of sag. almost none in the rear end but it's an old sid reardamper without some clever platform.

My thoughts were more of the thinking of having 2 forks, one suspendend and one rigid and don't experience to much variation in geometry.

that thing u have created will be a aggressive little thing in the forrest, it's something special riding a lightweight rigid bike with 2.0 tires and a lot of air in the woods. sure it bounces around a bit, but it feels like riding a missile:)

Hey Mark- You got me psyched to do a similar build - I nabbed a gloss black 17" 2000 M2 frame with an 06 Marzocchi Marathon SL fork. Parts were sourced from an older bike, ebay and lbs. Current weight is just under 24 lbs.

I haven't ridden in over ten years, so its fun to get on a bike I would've given my left arm for when I was a kid. The longer travel fork does make it a bit squirrelly in slow turns, but downhill it bombs. So I think you were right to go with the more compact fork for this frame.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• m2_beastlo.jpg
    m2_beastlo.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 714
Looks lovely, that M2. I've owned 3 or 4 M2s and loved them all - it'll be just fine with a 419 RC31. The picture is of my M5 with the shorter Pace for (400)? , first generation RC31 - even that worked ok, but it was better with the version that you have.
Oldskool2021.jpg

ps........yer brake's on backerds ;)

Back