strpping a frame

monkeymoped

Retro Newbie
:?:

what is the best best material to use to strip an ali frame its an old school intense m1 (i say old school its 2001) so old school in terms of modern day dh bikes, i got the frame with knackered up paint work and decided to strip it back and then re-spray it,
i'm using nitro mors at the moment, but it seems to be taking longer than it sayts on the tin even though i've primed the frame ready for stripping
thanks any help would be appreciated

:shock: :twisted:

Nitromors is definitely the stuff to use, but results do vary with paint thicknesses and types

What do you mean by primed the frame for stripping?

:oops:
got a fine sand paper and went over the paint work and its stripped the top layer of paint but left the primer coat which is a bugger to get off but slowly now its coming off.
its an intense m1 the best ever production dh bike in my view and some what of a classic. and as its a dh bike i'm assumingthats why the paintwork is so thick and a bit of apain to get off.
plus i'll either have to try and get intense to send me some original decals or ask someone from this forum from 2003 or at worst try e-bay

I think you are right with your assumption about the paint, it was a high end DH frame in it's day so the paint is probably high quality and pretty thick with a good etching primer etc.

Just need to keep at it with the Nitromorse, you'll get there in the end ;)

Make sure you are 'dabbing' the Nitromors on with the bristles of the brush, rather than 'painting' it on using brush strokes.
Makes a big difference.

drystonepaul":2id1yj7i said:
Make sure you are 'dabbing' the Nitromors on with the bristles of the brush, rather than 'painting' it on using brush strokes.
Makes a big difference.

yeah using the dabbing motion , finally the swing arm is done (yipee) and now on with the main bulk of the frame, i'm leaving the rockers black as original, but i don't whether to get it powder coated or re-sprayed the original red or to go with the more modern intense green .i think that may look gook good on a classic frame

Back